Real vs fake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabbyg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now I have a 29 gallon with fake plants. And I was a little curious on getting real plants. But honestly know nothing about the real plants...

You have to try both in order to see what you like. If you don't try it, then the idea will linger forever.

I had fake and enjoyed it. There is a lot of hype of "natural" environment, so I tried it. Now I'm glad only using my fake plants and driftwood.

If you know nothing about aquatic plants, then start researching.

HTH

From my experience i have started to like the fake stuff more. Once i got real plants i needed more light, then wanted CO2, then wanted ferts. it just seemed to add up and made more work for me and my wallet. just my opinion, but real plants do provide a look that fake ones just cant match

gabbyg said:
Right now I have a 29 gallon with fake plants. And I was a little curious on getting real plants. But honestly know nothing about the real plants...

If you want to try and see how it goes then start with something easy that doesn't take spending any money (other than buying the plants). Grab an Anubias or two. You can find them at Pet***** already tied to driftwood or rock. Drop it in, after a wash, and watch it grow. Most Anubias are very low light plants that will work out whatever lighting you have. You could also try some Java Fern, which is also readily available at most chain stores.

You don't need to spend a ton of cash to have live plants, just research for low light plants and you are good to go.

I started using both fake and real plants. I started with Swords and later added Anubis and Val. I have not messed with more lighting or co2.

Anubis and swords doing great. Only ferts are root tabs for the swords. Change every three months. Still use a few fake plants for height.

The forums here are great of course, and you can also pick up used aquarium plant books on places like Ebay and Amazon for dirt cheap. Reading through them gives you ideas and teaches you about plants.

If you feel overwhelmed or lose interest, a fake planted tank can rival the look of many real planted tanks if done correctly.

I personally don't like to spend $ on fake plants simply for the look of em..80% of the live plants/moss that I have in my 10g,20gtall&75g have originated from my 6g fluval edge..all my tanks are heavily planted&my fish thank me for it everyday..

Back
Top Bottom