Really shy Clown Loachs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZekeMM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
Last week I got 2 Clown Loachs for my 55 gallon tank. I put them in after a small break in period and I haven't seen them in the open very much. I have a rock decoration that has a small cave inside. I know they hide out in there. I wonder if there is something wrong or is it natural for them to hide like this? The tank also has 8 Tiger Bards, 4 Rosy Barbs, 4 Black Fin Tetras, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 1 Pleco, 1 Angel and 1 Betta. Any thoughts? Thanks!

We had a pair, never saw them again until 2 or 3 years later when someone turned the light on at 3am. :) Really though, the only way we ever saw them was to look from UNDER the fish tank where they had dug a hole in the gravel. They must be nocturnal, or live in caves in the wild...

*nods and agrees with saberry*

Clowns are schooling fish. 2 is not enough for a school; in numbers under 3 they tend to be very skittish and hide most of the time. Obviously more is better, but adding a 3rd may change the dynamics enough to bring them out into the open more often.

Also, its a really good idea to QT clowns for at least 3 weeks; they are all wild caught, and can bring all sorts of nasties into your main tank. Many arrive with intestinal parasites as well; keep an eye on em. If they appear to eat well, but get thinner instead of fatter you may need to treat.

Back
Top Bottom