Rebuild 40 breeder softy/LPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My buddy has a bunch of these exact lights over all his frag tanks. Good lights for the price! They don't have as much royal blue as the Taos, but work very well at growing coral.

So does that mean the actinic only setting have a lighter, almost teal, look to it?

You might see some algae growth from changing to the fixture with the reds and lower k whites. I have a 5000k home depot led screw in lamp aiming at some shadowed montis in my dt, and where the light is passing them and hitting the sand, I have a little patch of cyano popping up. No where else.

I don't think it's enough red to matter. But you want to be sure the blue channel has some power behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You might see some algae growth from changing to the fixture with the reds and lower k whites. I have a 5000k home depot led screw in lamp aiming at some shadowed montis in my dt, and where the light is passing them and hitting the sand, I have a little patch of cyano popping up. No where else.

Good to know, or to at least expect it and know the cause I'm advance, thanks.

I don't think it's enough red to matter. But you want to be sure the blue channel has some power behind it.

Given what Paul said about the less royal blue, do you think it's an issue?

The blue channel has done their blue, just not as much of the dark royal blue like some. They area good full spectrum light.

When I run actinics only, it will be a legit actinic though? I don't want to be lacking anywhere...

I think I may go with that light... Price is right, I don't need bells and whistles, will look great over a 36" long tank...

The other option would just be to get another Tao, but I don't think I'll enjoy the addition of 2 more power cords and a timer... However would be cheaper.

I think I may go with that light... Price is right, I don't need bells and whistles, will look great over a 36" long tank...

The other option would just be to get another Tao, but I don't think I'll enjoy the addition of 2 more power cords and a timer... However would be cheaper.

Either choice would work great on your tank. I like the less power cords thing personally. You could always use that Tao on that future frag tank... ;)

Oh 1 last inquiry regarding this light.. It says it has a "mix" of 90/120 degree optics... Anything to be concerned about? Think it will give some brighter spots?

Oh 1 last inquiry regarding this light.. It says it has a "mix" of 90/120 degree optics... Anything to be concerned about? Think it will give some brighter spots?

The guy I know that had these leaves them how they are out of the box and they seem to look/work great. I have read of a few people removing the optics completely (Mr. X did this if I remember correctly) for a "better spread". So I guess you have your options. For a 36" tank with the 300w marsaqua, I think it will do great right out of the box.

I got a mars aqua fixture with an alleged mix of 90 and 120's and the spread was terrible. I removed the lenses (they just pop off...only a tiny drop of glue holds them) and now it's much better. I honestly couldn't tell any difference between the 90 and 120 degree lenses with a visual inspection.

I got a mars aqua fixture with an alleged mix of 90 and 120's and the spread was terrible. I removed the lenses (they just pop off...only a tiny drop of glue holds them) and now it's much better. I honestly couldn't tell any difference between the 90 and 120 degree lenses with a visual inspection.

Ok so nix the optics. I'm not too handy, Doug do you think you could post a pic exactly how to remove them? My luck, I'll end up with a brand new light in a thousand pieces peppered across my dining room table... ?

I would look at the coverage first.

Will do... Thank you.

Next order of business.. Never addressed my flat worm problem. I just suck them up during water changes and it helps but they're obviously still running strong in my system. I'm nervous about using eXit, partially because it's my first time and the fact that the toxins after they die can wreak havoc are stuck in my head...

It's not necessarily toxins...it's a lot of dead things all a once. Vacuum out what you can and then use the exit, or leave them alone and let nature sort itself out.
As for removing the optics, after you remove the protective pane it's just like pulling grapes off of the vine. No worries...It's easy.

Don't you waste a lot of light hitting the sides without the optics? I would think the PAR would drop off.

I didn't check the PAR with the optics to be sure, but I can grow sps pretty far down in the tank with them off, so I don't seem to need them. If I left the optics, I'd need twice as many fixtures over my tank.

If I didn't use 90deg optics, the bottom of my 34" deep tank would grow nothing. But I'm using Cree emitters.

Back
Top Bottom