Recommend a good filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, what's your opinion for a good filter in a 55 gallon tank? I plan on getting an Aqueon 55 gallon starter kit, but I've read that the "Quietflow Powerfilter 55," which is included in the kit, is inadequate. I'm looking for a good filter under $100. Any input will be great appreciated! Thanks!

I think aquaclear makes great filters. They run great and you don't need to change filter pads either, so they save you money in the long run.

I really like my penguin bio wheel 350 it's rated for up to 70 gallons and pushes 350 gallons per hour I run one on both my 55 gallons tanks they work great you can buy them at pet smart for I think around $50 I highly recommend them they are hang on back style filters.

I have got an Marineland Emperor 400 and an AquaClear 110 on my 55 gallon Malawi Cichlid tank. The AC is definitely quieter and has a higher flow rate than the Emperor 400; 500 gal/hr vs 400 gal/hr respectively. I really like the extra media tray in the Emperor 400, which can be filled with biomedia (porous ceramic) to boost the Bioload (conversion of ammonia to nitrates) capacity of any tank. Mechanical filtration in the AC IMO is better. Since I have 17 fish in my 55 gal, I have both an AC 110 and an Emperor 400. Recommended total flow rate rating for tanks is typically 6 to 10 times the volume, i.e a 10 gallon should have a flow rate of 60 to 100 gal/hr. The larger the fish or the greater the number of fish, the greater the flow rate that is required.

Back
Top Bottom