Recommend me some fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is currently empty. It's a 30 gallon tank, with 1 Top Fin 30 filter and 1 AquaClear 50 filter. Plenty of fake plants, and small smooth rocks as the bottom. I have hard water that is around 80F.

I would like a freshwater tropical community aquarium with:
• AT LEAST 1 fish that is bigger than a platyfish (but more than 1 would be nicer).
• A group of shoaling/schooling fishes. Possibly a type of barb or tetra, but you can tell me what you like.

I'm having a hard time deciding so I want everyone to give me their advice. I don't want any fry happening, so it would be best to have only males. If it's not very easy to get them to breed, then I would include females.

Thank you so much!

How about a gourami and 6 cherry barbs?

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

How about a gourami and 6 cherry barbs?

"It doesn't matter if your on the same page, it matters if your in the same BOOK."
~Platy lover~

Aren't barbs nippy though? And I think the OP's been trying to stray away from gouramis.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Aren't barbs nippy though? And I think the OP's been trying to stray away from gouramis.

Cherry barbs are very docile, I have them and haven't had a problem. Just keep them in a 1 male to 2 female ratio. I'm not sure about larger fish than a platy, but if OP is steering away from gourami ten there are some large betta species. But they wouldn't be a community fish... You could have a Molly and cherry barbs.

~Platy lover~

Cherry barbs are very docile, I have them and haven't had a problem. Just keep them in a 1 male to 2 female ratio. I'm not sure about larger fish than a platy, but if OP is steering away from gourami ten there are some large betta species. But they wouldn't be a community fish... You could have a Molly and cherry barbs.

~Platy lover~

Learnt something new today then... er.. this morning (it's 1AM LOL). Are cherry barbs good with hard water?

Learnt something new today then... er.. this morning (it's 1AM LOL). Are cherry barbs good with hard water?

They can live in ph 6-8.:)

~Platy lover~

~Platy lover~

Hi! I had considered Gouramis but apparently they can be aggressive a lot of the times and I want a happy community aquarium. I am very interested in Cherry Barbs, and now that you mention them here, I might just go with them as the shoaling fishes in the community! Mollies are very pretty but I think they prefer brackish water, and I would prefer to have a freshwater tank, so i don't have to spend on buying aquarium salt and so I could have more options on freshwater fishes to add to my tank. But there's maybe a chance I could go for brackish water. Maybe.
Also, just in case, Mollies are ok in groups right? I would prefer to have more than 1 larger-than-platies fishes.

Back
Top Bottom