Restarting my tank! 2 male pearl gouramis or 1 male and 1 female? No breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm about to restart my tank after many months! My step dad wants me to get bigger fish this time. I'm thinking of going for Pearl Gouramis.

I don't mind having more than 1 together in the same tank, but I do NOT want them to breed. So I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 males to make a friendly group. But I keep reading that it is recommended to get 1 male and 1 or 2 females. Why is that? I understand that the male will become more colorful to impress the females, but I don't really care for that. And I really don't want to breed them as I don't want to care for the fry.

Is having males together a bad idea? Will they become aggressive and/or territorial? I also want to include shoaling/schooling fishes in the tank. Possibly cherry barbs or some kind of tetras. Will those fishes be in danger? What about having 1 male Pearl Gourami alone in the tank?

By the way, the tank is a 30 gallon, with 1 Top Fin 30 filter and 1 AquaClear 50 filter. Plenty of fake plants, and small smooth rocks as the bottom. I have hard water that is around 80F.

I answered this on another thread, IME get 1 Pearl Gourami OR 1 DG. Not both and no groups. Even males and females can fight. They are not social fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pearls can get a bit aggressive* when in "breeding mode." I would either have one male or female** in a tank of the size you have. I wouldn't mix them with Dwarf Gouramis: the bigger Pearl would likely badger the smaller Dwarf to death.

*Though not as aggressive as Blue/Three Spot/Gold Gouramis, which can be real jerks. I love gouramis, but one has to be a little careful about tankmates.

**A male will still be aggressive on his own when ready to breed, but he does get that beautiful reddish breast when in season.

:fish1:

Thank you to all for the information! I don't think I'll be going with Gouramis anymore. They seem to be too aggressive for what I want in my tank.

Pearls are very peaceful with fish that aren't Gouramis typically. I plan to add one with my Neons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think so? Let me know how it goes after adding one with your neons! I'm curious to know your experience!

Back
Top Bottom