Recommendations for Decor and gravel questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logicwins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 100g tank I am starting, freshwater. I plan on putting Oscars, Jacks, or puffers in it. I want to get one or two large rocks/fake driftwood to put in with lots of hiding spots, where is a good place to find these? All the stuff at petsmart and petco are way to small for this tank.

Also, can someone explain gravel depth for me? What depth should I use? For now, I plan on using fake plants. Is the kind in a bag with bacteria already there good to use? How many pounds should I buy?

Again, thanks for the help!

Justin

The kind of stuff in a bag with bacteria in it is most likely for planted tanks.

A one inch to two inch depth is probably fine. Those fish will get quite large so there will be a lot of waste to deal with, the less gravel to vaccuum the easier it will be to keep it clean.

You can find large driftwood on ebay and aquabid.

you could also use several pieces of driftwood not just one lg piece. If it were me i would go with puffers and a low light planted tank.

I see you are in Austin... You shouldn't have a problem sourcing out a big boulder of Texas Holey Rock or two! And driftwood is easy to come by, check ebay, or aquabid. I know mgamer is selling tons of driftwood, contact him!

Just use caution with substrate if you don't already know. I didn't realize back when I added it that you have to wash the dust away over and over before you add it to your tank. It was a nightmare I will never forget, I lost some beautiful fish...Don't do what I did...

if you are not going to have plants or have low light plants that attached to wood/rock where they dont need gravel i would do 1/2 inch - 1 inch. fake rock and wood just dont look right. its worth the time/money/effort in finding something that works for you and looks great.

for years i used pea gravel from lowes/home depot. it was dirty i had to wash it but it was $2.50 for 50 pounds. i liked it since it looked natural. there was a mix of light and dark color.

img_988228_0_d17c85d15d5ebef143b62851cf763e22.jpg

Back
Top Bottom