Recommendations on new 55gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
I am planning on starting a 55 gal aquarium that is well planted will have a sand substrate.
Her are some fish I plan on keeping. Please give me some advice on what other fish to keep and if it is storing to many fish. Thank you any advice is much appreciated.
List of planned fish:
2 Angelfish
4 Cory cats
4 Kuhli Loaches
1 Bristlenose/Bushy nose Pleco
? Ram/Dwarf Cichlids(not sure if I can get male and female pairs)
8 neon tetras
6 platies
1 dwarf gourami
? Glass cats (good amount?)
5 danios

Pick Cories or Rams. Rams may relentlessly attack Cories. Esp a pair.

6-8 Cories would be better. 4 ? In a 55?
Sad. You'll see much better behavior with a bigger group.

Add fish gradually of course.

Rams patrol the bottom AFAIK. I was warned off Rams when I said I wanted a Cory tank.

So far you have listed 3 bottom species that the Rams would hate on.

What kind of Danios ?

My stock....not saying you need to follow my plans...just showing other options...

Roseline Sharks aka Densonii Barbs I have 4. I will not add more as these get large. 55g is smallest Id suggest for them.

IMG_2397.jpg

I have 15 Neons...planning to add another 5
My Farlowella vittata is in the pic as well. I planned to get a BN Pleco, but I found her first.
IMG_2586.jpg

I have C sterbai
IMG_2651.jpg

Plus Otos and Nerite snails.

Newest is my Pearl Gourami
IMG_2470.jpg

I just thinking some zebra danios and do dwarf cichlids beat up bottom dwellers like Rams?

Kuhlis should also be in a bigger group. If you only get 4 you will hardly see them. They gain confidence from each other and like to all snuggle together under a log or rock. I have 10 in my 20 gallon and most of the time it looks like a fishless tank.

And yes rams can be bullies to other bottom dwelling fish, but if you provide enough plants and obstacles to divide their line of sight, your tank may be large enough for it to be fine.

I started my 55 gallon in Oct. I started with seven Zebra Danios, a Betta, then added three Clown Loaches. After the holidays I intend to add a Lemon Bristlenose Pleco. I put a large Mystery Snail in last night. The Clown Loaches are still quite small and he's pretty big, so, so far so good. But he may wind up being a snack at some point. Controlling algae for now though.

pick cories or rams. Rams may relentlessly attack cories. Esp a pair.

6-8 cories would be better. 4 ? In a 55?
Sad. You'll see much better behavior with a bigger group.

Add fish gradually of course.

Rams patrol the bottom afaik. I was warned off rams when i said i wanted a cory tank.

So far you have listed 3 bottom species that the rams would hate on.

What kind of danios ?

My stock....not saying you need to follow my plans...just showing other options...

Roseline sharks aka densonii barbs i have 4. I will not add more as these get large. 55g is smallest id suggest for them.

View attachment 291697

i have 15 neons...planning to add another 5
my farlowella vittata is in the pic as well. I planned to get a bn pleco, but i found her first.
View attachment 291698

i have c sterbai
View attachment 291699

plus otos and nerite snails.

Newest is my pearl gourami
View attachment 291700
1481112475898.jpg1481112487151.jpg1481112493245.jpg1481112502945.jpg
i started my 55 gallon in oct. I started with seven zebra danios, a betta, then added three clown loaches. After the holidays i intend to add a lemon bristlenose pleco. I put a large mystery snail in last night. The clown loaches are still quite small and he's pretty big, so, so far so good. But he may wind up being a snack at some point. Controlling algae for now though.

Since you said 2 angelfish, are you planning on a breeding pair? They can become very aggressive towards tankmates while breeding and a slower moving gourami might end up with some nipped fins from them and/or rams. With a 55g community tank, I would suggest sticking with one centerpiece fish...so either the angels, the rams, or the gourami. 55g really isn't large enough for more, IMHO.

I also agree that khulis and cories are much happier with larger schools. I would like to add that picking 1 or 2 of either neons, glass cats, or danios in larger schools would be better than 3 smaller schools. Maybe do 15 neons and 15 danios. Or 15 neons and 10 glass cats. Too few of each can cause them to not school as nicely or even hide too much, especially if you plan on having this tank heavily planted.

Back
Top Bottom