Red Belly Pacus revival HELP NOW!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tentacles

Aquarium Advice Regular
guy from about a half an hour away just brought me two of these, said they were too big for his 20g....yea..ones about 6 inches long and the other is about 5-this is the trouble one. He brought them over in a little goldfish bowl and they were both having oxygen issues, th bigger one is ok now but the smaller was 99% dead when it arrived. spent the last half hour swimming him around the tank with my hand, putting him in front of the filter outflow for some O2, and general stuff like that, rehab. Now hes pretty much 50% alive but he's still floating on his side half swimming ---much much much better than all color gone, upside down floater when he arrived so hes doin alot better..ANYWAY whos got some good revival tips???!

EDIT: i see that little view number climbing!...just say an idea, anything!

How do you stick a 6 & 5 inch fish in a goldfish bowl? In anycase it's impossible to give you any ideas with the little info you provided. What size tank are the fish in now? Is the tank cycled? What were their living conditions before they traveled to you in the goldfish bowl?

Basically Red Belly Pacus are very fast growing fish that require extremely large tanks. Unfortunately these fish are sold almost everywhere even though almost no one has a tank in their house adequate to keep this fish throughout its lifespan. Some people end up eating them or tossing them into ponds once they have outgrown their home tank.

They were way too big for the 20 gallon and I bet pretty quickly they'll be way too big for whatever tank you have for them unless you have a pond or something.

i have it in a 55gallon tank thats been cycled for 6 months, everyone in it is happy, and edit one is 4.5 inches and the other is just under 4. The 20g was also cycled, at least a year old.... if they get too big they can go in our pond later. It was a big goldfish bowl, little for them.

all im looking for like i said is any general revival tips, i wasnt aware that all the info was needed.....how do you help out a oxygen deprived fish, im not concerned with general pacus info. im aware of the fish's needs and characteristics.

When my tank cracked and flooded the house...i put the survivors in a bucket with two air hoses and a filter...I added an extra dose of stuff that provides extra slime coat and helps with stress...and then prayed....It sounds like you are doing okay...good luck

well its dead now, and the other is fine, so the thread may now be buried

Back
Top Bottom