Red claw and fiddler grands together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Akg2021

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 red claw crabs and two fiddler crabs coming in wanted to know will they do great together?

Your fiddlers may get along but more likely will fight each other and anyone else.

The red claws are the ones to watch out for, however. They are very aggressive and will wage war on each other, the fiddlers, and plenty of other creatures, eating the losers.

There are exceptions, and maybe someone here will chime in with a tale of peace and love in their multi-crab tank. There's one way to find out which is true, if you dare to take a chance...

Otherwise, you may find yourself with four tanks for four crabs.

What size tanks would they be in? Dividing the tank is advisable and also having lots of hiding places, an whether you have more than one male.

Would a 5 gallon work? I lost the two red claw crabs when I got them delivered got money back and only one fiddler crab survived

Sorry to hear that you lost 3 of the crabs. At least this will solve the aggression issues. Some things to keep in mind:

- Fiddler crabs will get lonely if it’s just them in an aquarium. I highly recommend ordering another crab, ideally as soon as possible, so that you will have at least a pair.

- Yes, you will need to heat the aquarium. The temperature should be kept around 75-86 degrees Fahrenheit.

- Since Fiddler Crabs should be kept in pairs, a 5 gallon will be too small. You’ll need a 10 gallon at the very minimum, but don’t hesitate to go bigger; the larger the aquarium, the more stable the tank will be.

- Here’s a link to a care guide for fiddler crabs. Definitely look this over when you get the chance! https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/fiddler-crab/

Hope this helps! Feel free to reply with any questions/comments.

Back
Top Bottom