red dwarf gourami stays on top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twinkey

Aquarium Advice Regular
40g breeder housing for now,,,7 black skirt tetras...2 red dwarf gourami's...recently 4 serpae tetra ...I recently got 2 gourami's this past week..one of the gourami's stays on top corner of tank and seems to gulp air once awhile...his tail fin seems to be nipped at. Finding out I forgot that serpae tetras are semi aggressive and was the cause of it...what is wrong with my gourami

A couple things to consider.

You may have 2 males and they could be fighting with each other. I had a similar story with 2 male gourami one stayed away from the other as best he could but they would run into each other - sometimes swim next to each other like friends one minute and the next fighting.

Could be trying to stay away from the dominant male.

They have the ability to breathe surface air - lung-like labyrinth organ. Bettas have that as well.

What are the water parameters? Have you tested the water and what were the test results? Is the tank established and completed its cycling. How long has the tank been running and how long with fish?

What are the water change amounts and frequency?

Stress and/or less than ideal water parameters can cause a fish to get sick.

Last edited:
all my parameters are good. Aquarium has been established for 3 years....3 years with fish. Thinking he was all stressed out and all from the fin nipping

Back
Top Bottom