Red Fin Shark in 28L Tank with Bristlenose Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lana3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP! I just bought a 28L fish tank. Have had the water filtered and heated with appropriate additives for the last two days to ensure it’s all proper for the fish before buying.

I today had levels tested and got the all clear to buy my fish.

2x bristlenose catfish (still small)
2x male guppies
2x red fin sharks (still small)

I asked an extensive amount of questions before purchasing to ensure the fish would all get along. I then went on to read a forum about not mixing red fins with the bristlenoses. However they were homed from the same tank when I automatically assumed that they would get along. What do I do? I become real sad if anything of life dies, but I am also gonna get mum guilt if I have to take them back however I can’t afford a new set up right now if I were to seperate the two breeds.

Any help and advice on what to do? I’m scared ones gonna attack the other or the two sharks will attack eachother and I have to not only feel guilt but explain to my small child why the fish has died.

I have a living plant, to rock tunnels and 1 large hide away rock.

Attachments

• F486E463-120F-4FCD-BEEC-63E13EEF161F.jpg
    F486E463-120F-4FCD-BEEC-63E13EEF161F.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 51
You should immediately return or rehome the red fin sharks. They will get much to large for your aquarium, requiring a minimum of 190 liters for a pair. As they mature, they become more aggressive, and can be very territorial. They especially don't like their own kind or other bottom dwellers.

A pair of bristlenose plecos or catfish can also become territorial with each other if both are male. They also require at least a 95 liter tank for one and bigger if keeping 2.

Your fish store should have asked some questions whilst you were asking questions, and never sold you those 4 fish for a small tank. There are options for nano tanks, but those 4 bottom dwellers they sold you are not. And they are known to show conspecific aggression

Thanks Charlie. I ended up getting another tank only 65L but all that I could afford. I’m waiting for the water filter before I move my shark out. I have asked if I could return one shark but it’s against policy. Unsure on how to rehome? I’m unsure what gender my bristlenose catfish are

Thanks Charlie. I ended up getting another tank only 65L but all that I could afford. I’m waiting for the water filter before I move my shark out. I have asked if I could return one shark but it’s against policy. Unsure on how to rehome? I’m unsure what gender my bristlenose catfish are
I would take up their returns policy further with their management. They sold you an unsuitable fish without properly ensuring you could look after it. This is very irresponsible. If they wont rethink their stance i would at the very least not return to the store to make purchases and leave a negative review on any online platform you can so others see what they are dealing with. Clearly state your issue and that they wont rectify their own mistake in any review.

Personally i would return the fish anyway and leave it on the counter. I suppose they would just thoughtlessly resell it to someone else though.

Along with the information above, the store did tell you about the Nitrogen cycle for new tanks right? They have to be cycled for 3-8 weeks before any fish should be put in. Looks like you have 2 tanks that need to be cycled now.

Click here for information on Aquarium Tank Cycling to help you out.

Back
Top Bottom