Red fin Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

username

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We got our tank four days before getting any fish (as this is what we where told to do when buying the tank) We set up the Aquarium with everything we had, the heater, filter, lights, the gravel, added some live plants as well as some plastic ones, along with a couple of hiding placed for the fish. We left the tank running for four days before returning to the fish shop. We ended up buying 3 Redfin Tetra fish as our first fish, (we where adviced that these where a good started fish) We got home and placed them in the tank, where they seemed happy enough. We fed them later on that night and went to bed. Got up this morning to find all of them had died. What are we doing wrong? Any idea's would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Im sorry to hear about your fish, Lfs are very misleading. Your tank was probably in mid cycle. Which means your water parameters were off. I'd suggest getting an API master test kit, and test your water yourself and post the readings. I'll be able to tell you more after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Took water sample into the local fish shop today, they said the water is fine, and maybe it was just the shock of moving that killed them?

hmm if the store said the water is fine then it could just be stress, or they are lying to get you to buy more fish...

I can honestly say i have never had a fish die from the move from lfs to my tank, let alone 3 all in one go. All I can say is that if your water parameters are fine then there must be a serious quality in health of the fish at this store and to find a decent and honest trader to buy from. Some retailers are just out for the quick buck and don't care but there are some quality stores out there. Sorry to hear about your experience and your fish.

Thanks Tropical, we went to another fish strore today, and the guy we spoke to was really helpfull, and we ended up with 6 Molly's, 2 of which are pregnant. All seems to be going well so far :)

More fish

I really advice you to follow the suggestions from tyspot. It's super important to read and understand the Nitrogen cycle if you would like to succeed keeping your fish alive.

Believe me, adding more fish from a different fish store is not going to be the solution, and now that you will cycle your tank with fish, it's important that you read the nitrogen cycle and perform the partial water changes that you will need.

Also buy a liquid API master kit test to measure the levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. These readings will guide you during your cycle process.

Good luck

Could your readings be showing zero because a cycle hasn't even started. Mine did. A tank sitting for 4 days with no source of ammonia is far from cycled. I would suggest going to your lfs or a friend and asking for a dirty filter pad. Place it in ur filter or better yet cut into pieces and put into ur tank. Then you should have a cycled tank. Bravo. Hope this helps you. Good luck

Could your readings be showing zero because a cycle hasn't even started. Mine did. A tank sitting for 4 days with no source of ammonia is far from cycled. I would suggest going to your lfs or a friend and asking for a dirty filter pad. Place it in ur filter or better yet cut into pieces and put into ur tank. Then you should have a cycled tank. Bravo. Hope this helps you. Good luck

This.

Bad advice from the LFS. Waiting for a few days does nothing to cycle the tank for fish. That said, I can just about guarantee you that ammonia and/or nitrite didn't kill these fish. They weren't in the tank long enough to produce these toxins in any measurable amounts. My guess here is an acclimation problem, or just poor quality stock. How did you acclimate these fish?

Back
Top Bottom