Red fur algae is unstoppable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mapexmac007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi folks,
I've got a serious outbreak of a red/purple fur-like algae in my tank.

In reading various philosophies on algae management, I was advised to allow it to grow in one, controlled place, but fight it everywhere else.

I have not yet set-up an algae filter/growth device. I haven't been able to afford an ultraviolet light filter.

I get the usual small bits of bright green algae on the glass, maybe a few spots of some yellow gel-looking algae blobs (usually on the silicon on the very corners of the tank).

But this red/purple fuzz is nuts!! Unstoppable. I've removed the large lava rock formation, sprayed-it down with a bathtub mold/mildew killer (X-14), scrubbed it with a big ol' brush while spraying it with this bleach-smelling stuff, let it air dry for a few days before re-introducing it into the aquarium.

The red fuzz grew back within two weeks!

It's ruined a few plants I had (anubius, anacaris, (sp??) and sword) and now this fuzz is even growing on the shells of two large snails! (see pics)

I tried rescuing the plants by removing them from the tank, placing them in their own small containers, and applying hydrogen peroxide into the water. I also added a plant food Seachem's "Flourish".

HELP! Is there anything I can do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
Mike

Attachments

• red algae on lava rock.jpg
    red algae on lava rock.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 84
  • snail with algae on shell.jpg
    snail with algae on shell.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 77
Ricky,
I've read about half-way through the article you provided. Thanks for that article (I'll finish the rest of it later).

The rock you see in this photo (above) was sprayed with X-14 bathtub mold and mildew cleaner, and scrubbed vigorously while wet with the X-14. Then I left it in the hot, dry Vegas sun for a few days, then rinsed it in a bucket of tank waste water, to be sure no X-14 (bleach) would get into my tank.

The algae you see in the photo came back to full-strength within a mere 14 days of re-insertion into the aquarium! 2 weeks is all it required to grow back to the length it was prior to my cleaning binge. Prior to my cleaning effort, the rock was completely covered (upper, light-faciing surfaces) with the red stuff.

A little bit looks OK, and actually quite pleasing as indeed, it sways with current. But when it took over my plants, and completely covered the rock — no good — it's got to go. I think next I'll try explosives. :brows: :cool:

Or Nerite snails...

I read the entire article you posted (thank you for that resource!). Most of the article provides methods and measures for prevention of the algae's growth.

Of the measures it talks about AFTER the algae is present, I believe putting some Nerite Snails to work is my best option. Going with an SAE doesn't seem pragmatic given that there are two 4.5-5inch goldfish swimming about.

Thanks again Ricky.

Back
Top Bottom