Red / Marone Algae on Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I have a fine grain sand bed in my aquarium which is approximately 12 months old. I generally don't move the sand around and it typically develops bubbles underneath it. I watched a video which referred to this as "live sand".

On top of this sand I now have large patches of red / marone algae. It's like a blanket over the sand. It's the same colour as the hard algae that grows on your rocks.

Is it good, bad or neither to have this growing on the sand? I have recently disturbed it since I figured sand in the ocean never sits still.

The right or the wrong thing to do?

If it comes off in sheets, it's caused by lack of flow in the area. Redirect your powerheads to accomodate this and you will lose this problem.

I'm having the same issue. I thought it was phosphate levels. but they're only at .07ppm
Guess I'll try adjusting my powerhead too.

it doesn't come off in sheets as such, but certainly large portions. The weight of the sand underneath it which is stuck to it forces it to break away.

I think I might adjust my power head arrangement.

Sounds like cyno as others have said, bad stuff..... Cyno can show up with excess nutrients, light spectrium and low water flow. How old are the bulbs.... If it just showed up it could be your bulbs need to be changed....

my bulbs are new...the tank's 7 weeks old. nitrates 5ppm, phosphate 0.07ppm

but i have a fuge now, and am ordering some chaeto to try to soak up the extra phosphate.

also got a brine shrimp net to strain my frozen foods since i'm told the liquid they're frozen in is phosphate rich.

My bulbs are brand new. I just swapped both the white and blue light ones.

I could understand it being a low water flow however.

Is it true that the liquid frozen brine are in is rich in phosphates??

I guess it would depend on the brand?

I have been dumping in my BS water from day one..... I do get a small amount of cyno every once in a while but I cant see it being from that BS water in my 125. I think is more or a flow issue in my tank also. It forms on the sand in between a bunch of kenya tree corals I have growing on the sand. When my lights get old it picks up more.

7 week old tank it should pass in time..... what type of sand did u use..... I had it in my fuge when i set it up with south down sand and the lights of america 65 watt light. Shut off the lights for 2 weeks then Switched lights and put in a small PH and it went away. Put that was in my fuge....

Back
Top Bottom