Red Sea alk test ? And dosing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anovack

Aquarium Advice Freak
First I have a question about the Red Sea alk test. I follow the directions and everything and was curious if it's supposed to turn a dark vibrant orange like how the calc test turns a dark blue. When I do the alk test it turns orange but not a bright orange.

Other question. Curious how calc and alk could fluctuate this way.

10/8/15
Calc-430
Alk-8.4

10/14/15
Calc-470
Alk-7.2

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have only done weekly water changes and never really tested for these numbers because of the pwc and everything seemed happy. Everything still seems happy and I am about to do another water change and tested. Not trying to chance numbers here either. So if my alk goes down does calcium normally go up?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They work along side magnesium levels. Yes, it's common for them to "seesaw" back and forth. IMO it's Alk I watch closer than Cal. Alk can kill Stoney corals if it fluctuates too much (especially LPS). Part of the process is to develop a long term dosing scheme that gets you close to where you want it, then try to not let it vary.

When you have calcareous algae growing everywhere you know your Cal levels are sufficient for Stoney corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom