RED SEA STAR BEHAVIOR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

socalarsen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
RECENTLY ADDED A RED SEA STAR TO MY TANK...ODD BEHAVIOR, DIDNT MOVE FOR FIRST 24, THEN WAS ALL OVER THE TANK MOVING EXTREMELY FAST FOR A COUPLE DAYS, NOW BACK TO A MOTIONLESS STATE. BUT HIS SMALL SUCTION CUPS ARE STILL OUT SLIGHTLY AND MOVE SLIGHTLY IN THE WATER MOTION...ANYBODY ELSE EVER WITNESSED THIS??? SHOULD I BE ALARMED BY THIS BEHAVIOR??? ANY INPUT WILL HELP THANKS ! sorry about the caps, im at work and everything is case sensitive....

The one thing I`m worried about is was he exposed to air. Sea stars cannot be exposed to air. How was he acclimated to your tank? Did the LFS or you pull the seastar out of the water? Just some questions to try to figure out which way to go. Hope all goes well. Moved to sick fish and coral

GOOD NEWS!

he was purchased from the lfs and removed by one of the associates...my lfs is about 10 mins from house so i float acclimated the little guys since the lfs and my tank have almost exact water params, and he went from tank to tank in about 30 mins...good news though when i went home for lunch (i happen to work 5 mins from home too haha!) he was crawling around in one of my live rock caves about 7 inches from where he chilled for about 30 hours...life looks bright for sticky...

Hopefully he will be OK but realize that inverts need more strict acclimation procedures. Also if he was exposed to air that the next week will be critical. If he starts to look like he`s melting or skin falling off then the end will not be far off but hopefully that wont happen. Seastars are a wonderful thing.

I have two of them so I know how fun they are to watch.

Attachments

• 100_0622_959.jpg
    100_0622_959.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom