Red stuff in my tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have something in my tank and can't find it on any website. It looks like the same color as red slime algae but the 2" diameter on the glass is flat. You have to scrape it off. Same with the small spot on the rock. The red slime research I've done says that it can be lifted off or siphoned out with airline tubing. Not so with this. I did a wc yesterday, and do so every two weeks, 10%. My son tells me I'm overfeeding so I'll cut down on that. I moved the powerheads around, and cleaned up the substrate really well, oh, cutting back on lights too. Any ideas? Thanks for your help. Sorry, don't have a picture for you. I just joined this community a few days ago and haven't figured everything out yet.

How old is your tank and isn't some of the same stuff on the rocks by now? Like said, it's likely good corraline algae. You'll end up seeing it on the glass, rocks, and even snail or hermit shells before long. Some even add supplements to their tank to get that stuff growing strong. I tend to prefer the natural growth from just water changes.

Last edited:
Red stuff....

The tank is 14 months old. It has lots of light purple, and dark purple coraline algea on the back glass, rocks, snails and hermits. When it gets on the front glass I have to use a razor blade to scrape it off. On the red stuff I use one of those green scratchless scrubbers and it comes right off. And it's really soft. So I don't know. I just hope it's nothing bad. We'll be starting up our 90 gal soon and wanted to transfer this rock into the new tank. Don't know whether we should or not. Thanks for your help everyone. Any other ideas :confused: .

Since you described it as "really soft" this time, I'd say it's not corraline algae.

How much are you feeding BTW and what are you feeding? Also, what are your nitrate and phosphate readings? I'm especially interested in the nitrate readings since your son says you're feeding too much.

"Really soft" and "have to use a razor blade to scrape it off" aren't clicking with me. Agree that a picture would be a good thing.

I was just saying that the difference between the coraline on the tank and the red stuff is that I have to scrape off the coraline with a razor blade. I wouldn't call it hairy. On the glass it looks really flat. We did a water change yesterday, 10 gal, and I just did a Salifert Nitrate test. Medium range was 2 so turned the vile sideways against the card and it was between 25 & 50 low range. Was feeding frozen mysis, brine shrimp, pellets and flakes. Now just the frozen food. I really appreciate your help.

I let it thaw in RO water, then pour it into the tank...so no, I don't rinse it. So do you pour it into a net and then let it go into the tank? What did you think of the nitrate numbers?

The nitrate is rather high for a reef so do a 25%-50% pwc to knock them back to around ten or below. I melt mine in water and pour the water out into a fish net so the food gets caught in the net, then you can stick in tank. I use garlic and vitamin food soaks after that then add it to the tank. Just the way I rinse, I'm sure there are many other ways to do it though.

We plan on doing another water change this weekend. Well thanks for all the info. I think I've exhausted the subject lol. Just don't want to put anything bad into the new tank. Thanks again Everyone!

... and I just did a Salifert Nitrate test. Medium range was 2 so turned the vile sideways against the card and it was between 25 & 50 low range. ...

With a Salifert nitrate test kit, if you're looking through the SIDE of the vial to compare colors, then you divide the numbers on the color chart by 10. So looking sideways, if your color is between 25 and 50, then your nitrates are actually between 2.5 and 5.0

If you're looking down from the top of the vial, then you use the numbers as printed on the color chart.

If you're between 2.5 and 5.0, that's not bad at all.

Guess a picture of the stuff in question isn't possible?

Sorry Kurt, no picture. I washed it off before the WC Sunday, and the spot on the rock would be difficult to focus in on. Kinda back behind another rock. I would if I could. Thanks for explaining the Nitrate test. Doesn't make me feel too bad after all. Off to work I go...everyone have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom