Red Stuff in Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this just coraline algae, it's growing in spots all over the back glass as well as on my base rock. Or is this something bad like cyano?

red.JPG

What do I do about it? I "feed" the tank with blender mush once a week, as all I have is hermits, snails, a brittle star and a cleaner shrimp. I use RO/DI and have been doing a 20% water change every two weeks.

I was planning to add my first fish (a pair of false percs) at the end of this month.

What do I do about it? I "feed" the tank with blender mush once a week, as all I have is hermits, snails, a brittle star and a cleaner shrimp. I use RO/DI and have been doing a 20% water change every two weeks.

I was planning to add my first fish (a pair of false percs) at the end of this month.

There’s an echo in here..here...here..here

Try to siphon as much as possible off as often as possible. Increase water flow over the effected areas, reduce feedings and reduce the amount of time your lights are on. If you are using tap water then switch to RO.

Cyano is a sign of excess nutrients in the water. There are several quick fix meds that you could use, but I have found that nothing short of hard work gets rid of it.

This topic gets covered alot, so you might want to do a thread search for Cyano.

This article covers it http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=14

I have a question about that article....what does topping off with kalk do to prevent/rid your tank of cyano?

ClamKnuckle said:
I have a question about that article....what does topping off with kalk do to prevent/rid your tank of cyano?
Nothing directly but indirectly kalk will precipitate the PO4 from the water added. Phosphate (organic and inorganic) more than anything else is the issue with cyano. Remove the PO4 and you kill the cyano.

Cheers
Steve

I had the same problem three times. I would clean and clean. Then a really smart person at one of my LFS told me to check my ALK. It was way to low at 4. I bumped it up to 10-11 at 1 meq/l per day along with cleaning as much cyano out as possable per day. Well its been a while now and if i see a little Cyano I chech the ALk adjust level and remove red and I live a MUCH less stressed life.

GOOD LUCK

Back
Top Bottom