Red Tail Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a RAINBOW shark in a 54g corner he does fine with an African knife, peecock eel. And cories. He is a bit territorial but has not damaged any one just a bit of chasing.

torres said:
they should not sell goldfish for who have small tank then.
but people have money and they buy and put whatever they want in their aquarium, thats what happen.
I do my searches, if i know ill do it right and people say it's wrong because of this, that bla bla bla, i just ignore.

I agree they shouldnt sell goldfish to people with small tanks it's not right either

Denny1985 said:
red fin sharks are a schooling fish??i only got informed on here yesterday NEVER to put them in with other red fin sharks??this has even confused me now:(i think there amazing and the little guy i have is great with my gupps,platys,mollys and bristlenose plec oh and my apple snail:)

Balas are schoolers, RTSharks are not.

Mumma.of.two said:
Balas are schoolers, RTSharks are not.

Actually, if you have a ridiculously large 500 Gallon tank handy, you can keep them in a big school.

As stated, a rainbow shark would be fine in a 50 Gallon.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Actually, if you have a ridiculously large 500 Gallon tank handy, you can keep them in a big school.

As stated, a rainbow shark would be fine in a 50 Gallon.

Learn something new everyday :) 500g is a bit out of reach for most aquarists though! Lol

Mumma.of.two said:
Learn something new everyday :) 500g is a bit out of reach for most aquarists though! Lol

I agree, although if you search around you will find some people who have done it. I remember one person that had 12 of them in a 300 Gallon Tank! :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
I agree, although if you search around you will find some people who have done it. I remember one person that had 12 of them in a 300 Gallon Tank! :)

Wow! After seeing what mine did to a couple of cories I can't imagine what they'd do to each other. I suppose that's why the high number, to spread out the aggression.

Yeah, they are sort of tiger barbs or other similar fish that will be aggressive to their own kind unless there are enough fish to spread out the aggression and then they will care more about each other than other fish. I agree that this fish is usually kept singly because their space requirement does not allow for the average fish-keeper to possess a whole school of them.
I have not kept this fish, but I know multiple other people who have said the same thing as some of the posters here. They feel that 55g is a bit cramped for the territorial behavior of the rts and a rainbow shark is a better choice for a tank that size. Rainbow sharks are still lovely. I personally think the albino ones look very cool. :)

BTW, people are offering very good advise from research and experience and there really isn't a need to be rude. If somebody disagrees, fine. But it rudeness won't help the OP. People who have actually successfully kept the fish long term are very valuable resources for people who are looking into keeping a fish. The web is full of bad info and conflicting info, so listening to people with experience is a very helpful tool.

I see them at the lfs a group of maybe 6 In a 50 gallon tank. But every single ones fins are chewed up. They just don't like eachother.

Back
Top Bottom