Red tailed shark keeps chasing a swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mb102593

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a red tailed shark and 2 swordtails last week for my 29g tank(yes I will upgrade in the future) but 1 of the swordtail died the day i got it, assuming from the store. I read that swordtails are mostly at the top of the tank, so that is why i got it. However it swims most of the time at the bottom and the shark isn't too happy about that so it chases it constantly. Anything I can do to prevent that ?

I somewhat had this problem in my tall 37 gallon tank with mollies. In the end I just separated them and will put them together once I have my 55 gallon up and running. That is a minimum, as people say, that you should own a shark as this one in because as they get older they are very territorial--and I did notice that with my own Red Tail Shark.

Others will say this, but its probably better to upgrade as soon as possible or you will have to rehome the shark in general if you want to keep your swordtails.

If you want to try and keep them in the same tank its best to provide lots of shelter and caves for your shark to call "home" so he can hang around that instead of too much open space to find those Swordtails to pester.

But, yet again, its probably better to separate with such a small tank for the shark, or upgrade. :)

Also.. cannot keep more than one shark in 1 tank (Unless you have like 100+ gallons)! Just remember that in case you grow fond of them.

Yes, I'm aware of keeping only one shark. but anyways thanks for your suggestions

If by red tail you are reffering to the rainbow shark I have two of them together in my 55 gallon and they do fine but they do.love to beat up on the smaller fish. Mpo is to up grade in size of the tank

Red tails and Rainbows are two different types, Randy.

Red tailed sharks are highly aggressive towards smaller tank mates and usually should be kept in at least a 55 gallon or larger. They are all black with a red tail.

Rainbow sharks, for whatever reason, dont seem to be as aggressive and seem to do alright in smaller tanks. I have heard of several instance were two or more were kept together in a large enough tank. They have black bodies and all of their fins are red.

my red tailed shark dont like to see my black molly picking stuff from the bottom either. its a 47 gallon though.

Is this fish a juvie? If it is this aggressive already its just going to get worse. The sooner you can upgrade the better IMO. For now try rearranging the tank just before you introduce some new fish. The rearrange will disturbs its territory and the new fish will spread out its aggression. They can be killers. Mine has killed several times.

Back
Top Bottom