Reddish color on underside & in lower fins and tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mos119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 20 gallon tank, set up on May 7, 2010.
I introduced 4 Giant Danios on May 13, 2010.
Tank was cloudy 2 days after set up 5-9, till about the 15th. Now it is clear as a bell.

3 of the 4 Danios have reddish color on underside & in lower fins and tail. That are Active and show no signs of fatigue, pain, they are eating like horses, (no difference in activity), etc...

What could the be???Bacteria???Ammonia???
I checked PH and it is around 7.2, water is clear.

Any suggestions???? Please get back to me ASAP!!!

My guess is ammonia poising also. I think that is what Jonathan was hinting at there. Is it red around the gills too?

idk, i was going to test it when i get off work.
If not, what else could it be???
If so, what can i do????

If it is due to the ammonia then you need to do water changes to get the ammonia back to safe levels (<.25ppm). It sounds like your tank is not cycled. I would suggest reading some articles about the Nitrogen Cycle. Click the Articles link at the top of the page to find them.

No redness by the gils.

It is not Ammonia. I just tested and the reading was ideal.
What else could it be???????

what is the best way to do water changes????
Petco had aquarium water for sale in jugs for water changes....is that better???

What are you using to test for ammonia? Liquid or test strips?

I would be curious what a good liquid reagent test kit would read. I bet you have ammonia and nitrites at this point, both of which are toxic to fish. I would recommend picking up an API Master Freshwater test kit. The dip strips are notoriously inaccurate.

Until then I would still do some water changes - at least one 50% water change and then smaller daily until you can get a good test kit.

Edit: As far as water changes, just get a good water conditioner like Prime or something similar and add that to the water you add back to the tank. Unless your tap water is really bad I wouldn't waste my money buying bottled water.

all water parameters are good. Here is a pic...what do u think???
I couldn't really get a good pic but here is an idea....

Fish 1.jpg

Only on the bottoms of the fish, bottom fin, and lower portion of the tail.

Looks normal to me also. Ammonia poisoning is usually seen around the gills - that is why I was asking. Just be sure to check your parameters and do water changes accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom