redoing tank with sand help me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNamelessPoet

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I mentioned it in another thread but here goes.

20 gallon tank.
Co2
65 watt light.
About 14 small 1+1.5 inch fish.
I am out of liquid fertz and want to swap to something not as hands on (often). Also how do I anchor the plants in the sand?

What's a decent fert?

Not sure what your asking here but you just plant the plants in the substrate using your fingers...the sand will hold them in place until the roots attach....lots of different fertilizer out there you could try adding root tabs as sand ( basic sand) doesn't provide a great deal of nutrients fir the roots....I've started using sera liquid fert. Jury is still out as I'm only part way through my first week flourish seems to be the most common on here but seems very rare over here in the UK any thing I miss??

TheNamelessPoet said:
Ok I mentioned it in another thread but here goes.

20 gallon tank.
Co2
65 watt light.
About 14 small 1+1.5 inch fish.
I am out of liquid fertz and want to swap to something not as hands on (often). Also how do I anchor the plants in the sand?

What's a decent fert?

There's always fert tabs you put near/under plants, but I really like Seachems Flourish Excel. I dose 2X a week with PWC, adding the dose to a gallon of water so it doesn't burn (melt) my Vals or Anachais.

As for planting in sand, I hold the plant between my palm and thumb, roots slightly pinched between fore and middle fingers and push it into the sand bed slowly.

the fert tabs are what I am interested in. I have never used them before only liquid. Id prefer the root tabs as my roomate takes care of my fish when I am not arround (which especialy in the summer is not often) and i dont want to come home to algee soup like I did last time because he never checked the C02 or added the fertz just feed :(

You can make automatic dosers for liquid ferts. There's a couple threads here on AA with instructions.

I grab the base of the roots between my index finger and thumb and wiggle the plant side to side and move my fingers down into the substrate. I use a curved hemostat to plant small plants like gloss and crypt parva.

Back
Top Bottom