redsea Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quitters

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys a couple of questions if thats ok

If i get 2 Redsea Co2 'cans' for my 28 Gallon tank, would i need to use florite Excel as well? do i determine this purely by the omount or co2 in the tank or carbon? or add up both?

Tank specs:
28 gallon
Heavily planted (wide range of plants)
3wpg (1 powerglo, 1 aquaglo, i flora glo)
4 guppies
11 gold tetras
2 coral blue dwarf gouramis
1 algae eater
Ph:7.1
Hardness: 10 - 13 dH

also, how much better is dosing seperate ferts on a scedhule as opposed to getting a comprehensive fertiliser, and if comprehensive is ok, can u guys tell me how sera flourish stacks up against the others???

anythin much appreciated ta

For that size tank, I suspect that the Red Sea 'cans' won't be enough. If they are about the same size as the Hagen CO2 Natural Plant System, that would make them about 1 Liter each. For a tank your size I would expect that you would need at least three 2 Liter bottles to produce sufficient CO2 levels. You method of diffusion will affect how efficient they are at diffusing the CO2, if using passive diffusion you'll probably need even more. Flourish Excel definately would help, but with probably get a bit costly over time. You can tell whether or not you need to add Excel by whether you are hitting your target CO2 levels in the tank. To judge whether you are adding enough Excel, you will need to judge by the health of your plants and any algae.

A comprehesive fertilizer generally only contains traces and should be used in combination with dosing macros. You could also get something like PMDD, which contains both macros and traces, the problem is that it has a set amount of each fert and may not be the correct ratio for your tank. If you dose the macros separately you have a lot more control and will find it much easier to avoid algae and correct any nutrient difficiencies.

Flourish Comprehesive is a good source of trace nutrients, and the rest of the line is also very good. The one problem with the Flourish line is that it can get expensive as you get into larger tanks. You may want to look into dry ferts from GregWatson.Com.

If you haven't already, I would highly suggest reading the CO2 and Fertilizing stickies at the top of the forum. Lots more really great info to be found in those stickies.

PLus we need an exact Kh reading. 10-13 hardness is insufficient. That makes your CO2 level vary by 15ppm at a pH of 7.1.

Planted tank keepers require good test kits for pH, Kh, NO3, and PO4.

thanks guys, someone really needs to sell a budget pressurised co2 kit i cant afford 300 bucks i need somethin in between yeast and pressurised grr. thanks guys!!

yeh my test kits are stupid, my Kh goes up in increments of 5 (1 drop = 10 gh(orwhateveer) devide that by 1.56 to get dh, so yeh mannn!

and ph goes up in .5 increments. :(

shoulda planned this better, i think im gonna stick to no co2 for now and cant find flourish excel anywhere (australia) so there goes my whole idea hopefully ill be lucky, nah actually ill research more!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom