redsea's 180 Gallon Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just as surprised as you are, lol. ;) SO, I'm back guys! I've missed you guys! I've been running my 125 gallon now for a bit over a year, and while things are okay, things could be a lot better-equipment/filtration wise. You may know that I tried to setup this tank as "cheaply" as I could (not much money at the time), which certainly does not work out in the long run. :hide: Therefore, I'm setting up a 180 gallon with a 75 gallon sump with some help from a LFS, so I can make sure it's done correctly. :) I'm really excited, and am planning to vlog (video blog) the entire process (in addition to writing about it in this thread). I currently have a Blue Hippo Tang, Salfin Tang, Bangaii Cardinal, and A Foxface Rabbitfish in the 125g at the moment. I am so ready to kick all this HOB equipment to the curb, especially my skimmer who likes to overflow itself. :cool: I hope you follow along in this journey. Here is the first vlog, which basically shows the barren-looking 125g and explains the process:

Yes,.. kick all that hang on stuff to the curb !! You'll love the big tank setup , welcome home

Congrats on getting the 180. I look forward to seeing the build.

What is the temperature in the 125? The fox face might be hanging out there to get the heat.

Very, very exciting news!
Thank you so much!
Yes,.. kick all that hang on stuff to the curb !! You'll love the big tank setup , welcome home
Thank you very much. I am so happy to kick the HOB stuff to the curb...so done, haha.
Congrats on getting the 180. I look forward to seeing the build.

What is the temperature in the 125? The fox face might be hanging out there to get the heat.
Thank you! Temp is about 78. Now the he is in the 180 and doesn't hang out by the heater anymore since both are in the sumb, lol.

So, the tank is here and everything is set up. The tank, sump, skimmer, fuge, filter socks, plumbing, everything! The fish are in the new 180g too, and am really loving it. We just have one little problem...the tank has a chip (kinda like a crack, eeeek) and the glass is a little off in one corner. :/ Good news though! I contacted the shop and the owner contacted Aqueon with pics and they are going to replace it. This is a brand new tank, and I was with the owner as we set it up (wasn't anything either of us caused). Unfortunately, we didn't notice the defects until the tank was fully set up. However, I'm thankful Aqueon is being good about replacing it...must have happened during shipping. I would post pics, but I'm not going to yet because everything has to be moved out and put back in, so things may end up looking different! It will be a lot more work, but it's worth it knowing that I will have a sound tank. :)

In other news, I've been thinking about stocking a lot lately. I really would like to add a couple more Tangs, but am a bit concerned about aggression. However, I often see tanks with multiple Tangs with no issue, but I know that not everything thing works for everyone all the time. I know this sounds absolutely insane, but I kinda want to add a Purple Tang and one other...maybe a Tomini? :eek: I know it's a big risk though. Would it help if I had the owner bring the new fish when we do the tank transfer so it's as if they are all being added at the same time? Anyways, nothing is set in stone, this is just a stream of consciousness from my mind, lol.

As always, thanks so much guys for following. I appreciate it so much! :)

Back
Top Bottom