Redtail and upside down catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlindaxx05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 1 redtail shark, 1 gourami, 5 green barbs, and recently bought 4 upside down catfish. I just saw on the compatibility site they shouldn't go together. It's been 2 days and no one is bothering the the catfish. Should I return the catfish or keep them?

What size tank are they in? Sometimes that can be helpful with compatibility issues.

Are your catfish the brown or black variety?

The worry would the RTS if the tank is too small, so tank size is very important as they get very territorial as they mature. Most sources say a 55gal minimum with plenty of caves, ornaments and plants to set up territories, but I say a 75gal is better.

It's only a 30 gallon But it kind of seems like the catfish are chasing the gourami. The catfish are mostly brown

You will run into problems with the rts in that tank. Even though it seems fine now, they recommend 55-75g minimum for a reason. Rts get aggressive and territorial. In the long run, I am guessing you will have problems.
Lynda asked about the color because 2 species are sold under the common name upside down catfish. The black ones get bigger and meaner. The brown ones stay small and are usually pretty peaceful.
I suggest keeping the cats and returning the shark. IME, those cats will try to push other fish our of their hiding spots, but I have never seen any aggression from them.

I also have the same combination in my tank. They get along perfectly fine.

I have a red tail and an upside down catfish(brown) and they get along fine. Had them for about a year in a 55 gallon.

Having those fish in a 55g is quite different from having them in a 30g. The potential problem isn't from the species exactly, but from the territorial nature of the shark being too prevalent in a 30g tank.

I would highly recommend you get a bigger tank. RTS are highly territorial, and need a 55 gallon minimum to keep aggression low between itself and other bottom dwellers.

Back
Top Bottom