reducing micro-bubbles without baffles in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My skimmer is up and running and it produces a lot of microbubbles clouding the tank. I know that when a skimmer is in a sump there are baffles to prevent this from happening. I haven't got to creating my sump yet and was wondering if there was something that I can do to reduce the micro-bubbles coming from my turboflotor multi while it is hanging on the back of the tank so that my tank is not a bubble factory?????

As I recall from your other thread...you just hooked that skimmer up? You will have to be patient and deal with the bubbles until the skimmer breaks in. Could take a few days to a week or more. Nothing you can do to prevent it.

As I recall from your other thread...you just hooked that skimmer up? You will have to be patient and deal with the bubbles until the skimmer breaks in. Could take a few days to a week or more. Nothing you can do to prevent it.

So does that mean that over time they will reduce on their own after it breaks in?? If so I would be curious to the science behind that..

I don't know the exact science...but the skimmer has residue from the manufacturing process on it's surfaces. This, combined with no protein layer having formed on the surfaces yet, allows the micro bubbles used to "Skim" the protein from the water to move out with the expelled water. When the skimmer "Breaks in" the residues are gone and a protein layer forms on the surfaces, this allows the bubble to rise up and not flow out with the "Skimmed" water....

Guy's please correct me if I am wrong.......

I guess that makes sense and I definately see your point thanks usmcmarc. it has been going for about 1week +/- a few days the slime is starting to build bubble production is still there I guess I will see as time goes on ...... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom