Reef Fusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jpassman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef tank with a 20 gallon sump. I reciently started using Reef Fusion 1 and 2. According to the bottle, I should dose around 12 ml each to maintain my calcium and alk levels. When I do this, my calcium level stays at 420. However my alk stays at 7 dkh. I slowly have tried increasing it because my alk is so low. I am up to 30 ml/day. My calcium is still at 420. My alk will rise to 9 dkh, but will drop to 7.8 dkh by the next am. My tank only has softys, a few lps, and a few sps frags. I am using a bubble king skimmer (not sure if this is hurting anything). Does this sound correct to get these fluctions in alk? Or is it ok to have such a low Alk and within range calcium?

Yes very normal. When the corals start to grow these numbers will drop. Lps will use more alk sps more calcium. So the sweet spot is hard to maintain especially when you have a growth spurt. Seems like you have it well in hand sometimes I have to dose more alk than cal to. Keep records and you will know what to add to bump it up a level.

Ok thanks
Feel a little better about it. I will check my magnesium this PM and increase it if need be.

You also need to adjust your mag. This is probably why you have a hard time keeping alk stable.

is there a.way to lower mag. I use a Red Sea Pro Mag test kit and my readings are always 1,440-1,500
My cal. is 420-440 and my alk. runs 10

Responce to Daniel's Answer

To respond to Daniel's answer. Can I dose Fusion 1 and Fusion 2 at different amounts? My lfs said I always had to use equal amounts of each.

I use oceans blend and it's ok to use more of the other to keep balanced. Two of my lfs say it's ok to use more of one if needed. corals will use more alk and cal with little shift in mag once you have mag level good with your wc it should stay in normal range. I would use the same amount as long as your cal is not going to high, or you could try half dose of alk then test later cus it will jump higher without the part b they balance each other out. Adding one will cause higher levels with less amount .

Back
Top Bottom