reef set up for lionfish and eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ice fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
so this wil be my first salt water tank. my two fish im planning on getting for sure will be either a mombasse lionfish or dwarf fuzzy lionfish and a either skeletor eel or golden moray eel. id like to know what items im going to need for this build (im completly new to salt water so please explain what you mean)what fish you reccomend most for them, and how much it will cost to get everything together minus the fish of course. im planning on starting it up this coming weekend so i know ill be waiting a while to get the fish. anyways. all info is greatly appreciated and thank you!

No your fine. The equipment really depends in the size of tank. But, you will need a some sort of filtration (a sump being the "best"). A pump for the sump, a prying skimmer (with those messy fish you should have a skimmer and a refugium). A refugium is a place to give beneficial creatures a place to grow ie pods, worms, etc. also, you'll want to add some macro algae such as chaeto or caulerpa. Sand, live rock (or base it will turn live during the cycle) test kits, lights, and stuff!!!!! It depends if you want reactors or not and things like that. Tank size would really help decide the equipment your going to get. Good luck!! And ask questions and be patient, two very important things in the hobby :).

hmm i see, so all that you suggested how much would that cost for some decent quality equipment. not the BEST but quality. also im aiming for about a 55 gal. if i can get a 75 im for sure getting one. the problem is the space right now for me i have to see if it will fit in the area i have picked out. im also debating on possibly going with just a eel or lionfish. for cleaning reasons. but my dilema is i want both and im finding it impossible to choose.

Go with a 75. A lot better than a 55 IMO. It's gonna be expensive. Probably atleast $1000. If you spend like me :)

It really depends what brand. If it was me putting that tank together that number would be absolute minimum lol.

would you also mind giving me a bit of a list so id be able to write it down and check off things i buy and start. id greatly appreciate it :) if possible the brands you suggest.

Dr foster and smith online great place to shop. They also give you a lot of info on products you are looking for with a lot of options. Decide how much you want to spend then make your decisions. Clean water ,lighting and water movement are essential. I have two penguin 400s ,100 gal skimmer, 2 power heads 1050, 660 2T5 bulbs 420blue and10000k in a 75 gal tank. I want one more 1050 My water is excellent. All about how much you have to spend!I wanted to build a refugium but not enough space or cash.

id like decent quality products. money isnt a HUGE deal with me for starting this but it will take time to buy everything. theres a lfs here that sells some good stuff as well. so im looking for a list as to what i can buy to start out this whole tank so i can check off everything

I think very important things are power heads. I never used to run them in my FOWLR, then switched reef, have 2 1400 and 1 500 in a 150, and I'm gonna add 2 2200 or 2 1400.

This is my list for my 120g build and some $ I budgeted for some of the items
x = things I'll add later or already have
BRS RO/DI system - $200
LED lighting - $400
return pump 1250 GPH - $170
protein skimmer pump - 0
phosband reactor -40
calcium reactor -x
carbon reactor -x
ozonizer -x
electronic controller -
ATO system -30
chiller -x
wave makers/ power heads -
dosers x
refractometer - 30
reef test kit - x

Saltwater is expensive but very rewarding! the best suggestion I have for you is buy used. We have still spent about $2,000 in about 8 months but we also have 3 SW tanks :) It will save you a lot of money! We purchased things of Craigslist, amazon and eBay. If you buy something off Craigslist make sure it works before you purchase it!! Also (besides a store like Petco or Petsmart) make sure you get the measurements from them and check that against an online calculator tool. We have been fooled before. We were told we were purchasing a 90 galling when we got it home it was only a 75. I would suggest a fuzzy dwarf lion fish (we love ours!!!) over an eel (we also have a snowflake eel) eels are escape artists and they will try to find a way out of the tank. We spent a few hundred dollars making ours escape proof. If you go with a lion have your LFS (local fish store) feed him/her prepared foods before you bring it home. They can be very difficult (ours is!!) to switch to prepared foods. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom