refractometer help please..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a refractometer yesterday and I received it today, and im trying to calibrate it. It says make sure the dark background matches the null line. What is the null line???

I don't know what a null line is but u calibrate it where the bottom white meets the blue top. Or at least my brs refractometer has blue on top

You don't want to calibrate it to zero. The reason is that you never use the 0 part of the scale. U need a quality calibration fluid.

I ran into this as well when I got my refractometer. I talked to marine depot about it because the instructions say calibrate with ro or distilled water to zero. He told me the difference using calibration fluid or ro is very very little and not really something the average hobbyist needs to worry about.

They might be I'm not sure . Have you talked to them about it? I had my Lfs recheck mine with a digital refractometer after calibrating with ro and it wad spot on .

I really dont know what mine is calibrated to. I got it in the mail today. Im assuming its calibrated as it reads zero with ro which it should. Im just not quite sure what to do. Did it come calibrated already?

Mine didn't . Yours sounds like it may have but I cant be sure . I would just call the manufacturer and ask them. and let us know what they say if you do call .

Yea mine didn't either. I tested RO DI water before I calibrated it just to see and it said like 15 on it!

Back
Top Bottom