Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillage

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys and gals.
Today I received the refractometer I ordered from eBay. The one I ordered was 24$. It measured from 0-10% Brix, or that's what it said online. It listed index of refraction and specific gravity ranges as well. Well today when I opened up the case, zipped through the instructions, and took a peek through the refractometer, I immediately noticed that the measurement were in Brix from 0-32%. Turns out they sent me the 60$ model on accident, it's used for beer and wine primarily. Both the received model and the ordered model have the auto temperature adjustment stuff. I was wondering, should I send it back and wait for the right one to be sent? I tried emailing them through eBay but I don't think it worked... The one I received technically can work, but I just feel that the other one would be easier to read since it has a smaller range. Any opinions? Thanks.

Is it from the indusrial whatever company in Torrance CA? I got the $24 one too (well the right one lol) and it works great. Given the scale, I'd opt for the right one myself.

Yep, that's the one. I figured the scale would be better off for my purpose. Now I just gotta get an email to them, the first time it isn't work, it asked for some verification and brought me to a different eBay page...

i also got my refractometer today in the mail i believe they sent me the wrong one aswell. mine reads sodium chloride on a scale from 0% to 25% i think can i still use this our sould i send it back. i got a wz-212 salinity/atc 0-28% any info would be great.

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"A commonly manufactured type of refractometer is called a Brix refractometer. Its scale usually reads in Brix, or % Brix (percent Brix). These refractometers are used in many industries to measure the concentration of sugar in water such as in the soft drink industry. They can be used to measure seawater's salinity, but are not always precise enough around the range of seawater's refractive index to be useful."

1.0241 SG = 32 ppt = 4.1% Brix
1.0249 SG = 33 ppt = 4.2% Brix
1.0256 SG = 34 ppt = 4.3% Brix
1.0264 SG = 35 ppt = 4.4% Brix

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
"A commonly manufactured type of refractometer is called a Brix refractometer. Its scale usually reads in Brix, or % Brix (percent Brix). These refractometers are used in many industries to measure the concentration of sugar in water such as in the soft drink industry. They can be used to measure seawater's salinity, but are not always precise enough around the range of seawater's refractive index to be useful."

1.0241 SG = 32 ppt = 4.1% Brix
1.0249 SG = 33 ppt = 4.2% Brix
1.0256 SG = 34 ppt = 4.3% Brix
1.0264 SG = 35 ppt = 4.4% Brix

Thanks. I managed to find this when I was looking around. My problem is that its not the easiest to read that fine of measurements. Thanks for the tip though. I'm working on emailing them still.

So it's been a few days since I've emailed them... Still no response. Should I just wait it out? I'd really like to get the right one so that I can start setting up my 10g. I just spent over 200$ on stuff in order to start up this tank, and yet I'm just waiting on some people to email me back... this is so frustrating.

D= I hate calling... I'll probably shoot them an email directly at that email from the link you posted. If they dont respond in a day or two then I'll give em a call. Thanks.

Apparently the message on ebay didn't quite make it through... I had a quick response after emailing the direct email. Thanks for that link. It helped =D Now I can't wait to get the correct one, so I can set up my 10 gal. =D

Back
Top Bottom