Refugium Mud?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefcowboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys,

Just came across this at my LFS, and thought it would help with my macro development in the sump, but thought would do a little research first...
It also says helps with the overall trace elements in the tank...
They use this heavily in a large 500 gal reef tank sump at a store nearby my house where they keep the corals for sale...What do you guys think?
I have live sand in mine, but if that is a good product, would check it out...
The brand I have access to is CaribSea:
FhtlZtXnBJvv1Ohttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbggV9zQoe8CmkNI0aEshDiS2RNvJlYt11aY3g&t=1

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Cheers

I've read on here that mud hasn't shown that it's superior to sand. A couple of people here have used it and didn't see any difference. Save yourself the money.

whats wrong with putting mud in the first section of your sump refugium and sand in your refugium section with chaeto. added benifits of both

True, could have both in there. I will check also how messy that mud is when in water...i would hate to have dark murky water that after settled would have those particles all over the display tank....will have to weight out the benefits/risks....

thats why i said put it in chamber one of the sump, and make sure there is a filter so it doesn't spread, i've never used it myself but i'm sure its kind of like top soil so its thicker and heavier

I wouldnt get it. You have to replace it sometimes and if your refugium gets a lot of water flow, then it will could cloud and make a big mess.

from, Adam

i saw a study done on miracle mud and it said that there was nothing in it that suggests it was from the ocean. there were pieces of red brick and man-made shiny plastic things in mine. IMO, it's from someone's back yard.
what trace elements were you thinking that this mud is going to add to the tank? how would it help with pod production? i think it's yet another worthless product LFS's try to pimp for the sake of a larger bottom line.

Plus you have to replace it after a while,I had it a few years back and I didn't notice much difference from LS

Back
Top Bottom