Refugium size question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am considering adding an hob refugium and had a few questions. I have a 30 gallon with 30 lbs of live rock, right now I have a hob filter and was thinking of adding a fuge. If I were to add one would I still need my filter? If not what size fuge would I need to install to not need a mechanical filter?

Sounds to me like a 10 gallon would do, but I'm a fan of the 20 gallon long tanks. Lots of room for equipment. In reality, you could take that filter off as it acts as filtration just as your live rock does and you have plenty. If you only wanted a fuge and not store any equipment in it, a 10 would do just fine. I'm assuming you are considering corals, so you might want to get a skimmer in there too. Researching which you want would tell you how much room you need, the 10 might be too small. So researching a skimmer for you would answer that.

Sniperhank said:
Sounds to me like a 10 gallon would do, but I'm a fan of the 20 gallon long tanks. Lots of room for equipment. In reality, you could take that filter off as it acts as filtration just as your live rock does and you have plenty. If you only wanted a fuge and not store any equipment in it, a 10 would do just fine. I'm assuming you are considering corals, so you might want to get a skimmer in there too. Researching which you want would tell you how much room you need, the 10 might be too small. So researching a skimmer for you would answer that.

Imo bigger is better i have 80g fuge on my 150g

Back
Top Bottom