Regal tang or yellow belly hippo tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isobel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Roughly just over a year ago I set up my marine tank. One of my first fish was a tiny Regal tang. Over the months I noticed his colouring seemed to fade from his belly and the blue became extremly dark. I thought he was ill and bleached. Anyhow, he's now very large and territorial. His white belly is becoming yellow and the black marking across his body is slightly different from other Regal tangs.

I found a different and apparantly very rare type of Hippo tang (African yellow belly hippo tang) while I was searching on the net. Has anybody heard of them?

I'll post a picture if he'll stay still long enough! :roll:

I have seen them for sale before. They are over 2X the price of standard regals and are suppose to be hardier.

Lucky. Those yellow bellies are cool.

However, I thought that with age Hippos normally have yellow belly. Also, I thought that the darkening of the color signifies "joy and health" perhaps?

With that said, congrats on your 1st year success on hippos.

I took about 20 photos, and despite the fact this one's rubbish it's the best one! Unfortunatly his colours look very washed out in the photo, as he's far more iridecent than it shows and the blue and yellows are much darker.

Back
Top Bottom