Regenerating carbon... lol. Yikes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoeplein

Aquarium Advice Addict
No wonder we don't do it. It's virtually unfeasible for the typical consumer.

OPTIMIZATION OF THE REGENERATION PROCEDURE FOR GRANULAR ACTIVATED CARBON (122 Pages)

Granular activated carbons, spent in tertiary treatment of waste water, are thermally regenerated in regenerators such as the multiple-hearth furnace. Wet spent carbon is fed to the regenerator and undergoes three naturally occurring steps, namely (1) drying at about 220*F, (2) pyrolysis of the adsorbed pollutants at 500* to 1550*F and (3) activation with flue gas and steam at 1600* to 1700*F. For each adsorption-regeneration cycle, the carbon volume loss varies from 5% to 10% and the activity loss is as high as 13% on the first cycle but at diminishing amounst on subsequent cycles.

:huh:

:facepalm:

I think so, I've had some idle thoughts of you could get an assay laboratory to do it maybe as they could get to that temperature but reading that didn't realise the re-activation was so involved. Only picked the lab idea as had a few contacts.

But even here it's just not that expensive to buy carbon.

From memory it will discharge at very high or low ph, that could be an option. I think the high ph option was 10 or something. Have a link somewhere on the desktop on this.

Back
Top Bottom