Remora bubbles driving me insane!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've had my remora pro (with mag 3) running for 10 days now. I know the instructions say it may take two weeks for them to clear up. Since that only leaves 4 days left I'm not holding out much hope. I have not added anything to my water (except salt). I am, however, running it during my cycle (with shrimp), could that make a difference?
I was playing with it tonight and found that if I surrounded the water returning to the tank with floss it made a huge difference in the amount of bubbles in the tank. The only problem is I don't know of a good way to hold the floss in place.
I know thats what the prefilter boxes are made for but I really don't want that big ugly thing in there.
Anyone else find a way to stop the bubbles without using the prefilter box?

It may be that it hasn't had time to slime over with bacteria. Is it a HOB skimmer? If it is, you can acrylic glue a piece of plastic to the outflow lip to extend it down below the water level.

Yes, it's the hob skimmer. If I just rubberband some floss around the outflow lip 99% of the bubbles get trapped and the water looks so much better. Thats not a very permanent solution though.
I like your idea of glueing some kind of (very small) box to the lip, which I could fill with floss if needed. But before I do that I'd like to know if they will clear up in time.
I guess for now I'll just wait a while and see if they stop on their own.

BTW, I have a very good friend in McKinney. We were there just last summer.

I have had the remora pro with the mag3 pump for 2 months and the microbubbles have not stopped. I just put foam sponge and rubberband around the outflow and my tank looks much better now as well. I don't think the microbubbles ever go away.

Same here. I notched a round sponge and it stays put on the outflow w/o rubberband. The bubbles are still there though and it bugs me because I know the tank would look even better without the bubbles that do escape. I have had mine running for two months.
I also don't want the box. I read in here that it only helps. Not a "cure".

I had the same problem and solved it 99% :D . I cut a 12 inch long by 4 inch piece of blue poly filter(not sure if this is the correct name) the stuff used in filters for cathing debris, and wrapped it around the return lip with a rubberband. Workes awsome.

Back
Top Bottom