Remove wet/dry filter pad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ulfius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 40 gal FOWLR tank (only 16lb Fiji live rock so far) and a built-in wet/dry filter. I also have an AquaC Remora protein skimmer. Should I take out the filter pad underneath the drip tray that leads into my wet/dry filter and rely totally on the protein skimmer for mechanical filtration, or keep it in?

At how many pounds of Fiji LR can I take out the bio-balls of my wet/dry?

Depends on what is in the tank, fish-wise. A lightly stocked tank doesn't need the 1-1.5 lbs that gets thrown around though it'd better to have the amount of LR that matches the stocking level that you expect to have.

I'm not sure everyone will agree (when do they) but I'd think if you replaced the same volume of LR rubble with the bioballs you are taking out that it would suffice for your current load. In that case, more fish = more rock and it's better to do it now while your ripping things apart. Say probably 10 lbs of rubble or so.

That's assuming you have 3/4 fish in there of the smaller/cleaner variety

I agree with the captain that I would replace the bio balls with whatever LR can be submerged in the wet dry. Alot of others have already done it and as soon as I get a chance I`m going to do it on my fuge.

As Ahab mentioned, it depends on the fish you house so what kind of fish are you housing? Wet-drys definitely serve a purpose in highly stocked and/or predatory tanks.

I have two 3" triggers and one 3" clown in my tank currently. Does the LR rubble need light? The area my bioballs are currently in is dark and can't really be lit.

Anyone know about my first question?

No you dont need lighting for the LR rubble. As far as the first question goes, When I had my wet dry I did not run my pad. I dont think it matters as long as you change it every so often or at least rinse and clean it out. Make sure to rinse in SW so as not to lose any beneficial bacteria in the pad. JMO and experience.

The pad is a double edged sword. It acts as a mechanical filter getting all the big nasties out of the water column and reducing the load on your other equipment. However, if you don't clean it on a regular basis (read that: ALOT) it can become a big source of nitrate in your system and we all know what happens with high nitrates.....

Back
Top Bottom