Rena Filstar XP2 for a 55 gallon tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I picked up the XP2 today at the LFS, was 140 and I didnt need to wait for shipping, so to me it was a good deal. I have it at work with me right now, as I didnt have time to do a proper setup before I had to leave. It will be setup and running tonite after work, are there any tips or advice about setting this up, I will be going through and looking at it at work. This looks like a good filter, and pretty solid, I think it will be a great addition to my already over filtered tank...LOL I now have an AC30, an AC50, and now the XP2, for a grand total of 185 gallons of filtration on my 55 gallon tank, but this is also in preperation of starting up the 29 gallon again, which will take the AC30...

Thank you all for any tips or advice,

Bear

I have a bunch of them. They're really quite easy to set up. The only gotcha is to make sure to have to top securely fastened to the base, otherwise you'll have a tank full of water on the floor.

I been kinda messin around with it here at work, and it seems pretty easy to setup, looks like the hardest part is waiting the 2 minutes for it to prime...I'm impatient...LOL

I'll have most of it up and running before I get home, likely all that will be left will be to prime and install the hoses to the main filter housing...LOL All I should need to do when I get home is to find a place to sit it, and then get all the lines hooked up, then decide how to place the pipes in the tank. I'm going to use the spray bar for the return side, and will likely place that on the side, with the intake in one of the corners to compliment the other 2 filters. Would I need to gate this filter down due to excessive intake current, or will that not truely matter?

I have an XP3. If you fill it up with water before you close it up it is easier. The only time I had to "prime" it is when I first set it up. I had to open the cap at the top of the tube and fill the tube after I had already filled the canister. Now I just do the quick disconnect. Clean out the filter. Fill it up with prepared water. Reconnect and turn it on. I get a couple bubbles that go through but nothing much.

I don't think you'll have any problems with current. I have an XP3 and a HOB on a 55, current is not a problem

Congratulations on getting your new canister filter. I'm sure you'll be as happy with yours as I am with mine. The Filstars are very easy to set up if you go patiently through the directions. Maintenance is pretty straightforward as well. Once a month I disconnect the filter and replace the micro-filtration pad while squeezing out the other pads in tank water.

One thing I would like to add on a side note is that the Hydor ETH inline tank heater makes a perfect complement to any canister filter. You just plumb it in to your outflow hose and set the temperature. No more unsightly heaters in the tank where they are susceptible to being broken.

P.S. I don't get money selling these, I'm just a very satisfied user.

I might look into the heater, it sounds like a good idea, but not this round. I'll look into it more, gotta research my purchases. I'm starting my fish research to restock my 55 tank now, but with 2 pleco's, 3 dojo loachs, and other tropical fish, it gets a bit rough on the filters...LOL

Back
Top Bottom