Renegade's 15 gallon Planted for Peacock gudgeon and Scarlet badis - Suggestions?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would go with the black background. Nice driftwood btw! How many gallons is that tank? Are you moving the peacock gudgeon gobies to that tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ??

Black or blue? Either one looks good with that dećor.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey, no fair, that was my question - you are supposed to give me an opinion LOL.

I would go with the black background. Nice driftwood btw! How many gallons is that tank? Are you moving the peacock gudgeon gobies to that tank?

Thanks! Tank is a 15gal long and will become the new home for the Peacock Gudgeons, the Scarlet Badis, the Super Tiger shrimp, and the one lone Threadfin rainbow.

Hey, no fair, that was my question - you are supposed to give me an opinion LOL.

Thanks! Tank is a 15gal long and will become the new home for the Peacock Gudgeons, the Scarlet Badis, the Super Tiger shrimp, and the one lone Threadfin rainbow.

Interesting mixture of fuana, I like it! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Interesting mixture of fuana, I like it! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice ����

Thanks, me either! Actually, I would like to add some additional fauna to the tank as well. I'd like to get some copepods and scuds going in there and maybe some freshwater limpets (if I can round some up). I like tanks that have a lot of biodiversity going in them. Unfortunately with that soil it is going to be a bit of a wait before it can be stocked. I'm going to try and get some java moss growing on a couple of charcoal shrimp caves and place those amongst the base of the root system.

Last edited:
Thanks, me either! Actually, I would like to add some additional fauna to the tank as well. I'd like to get some copepods and scuds going in there and maybe some freshwater limpets (if I can round some up). I like tanks that have a lot of biodiversity going in them. Unfortunately with that soil it is going to be a bit of a wait before it can be stocked. I'm going to try and get some java moss growing on a couple of charcoal shrimp caves and place those amongst the base of the root system.

Sounds great! That's what I liked most about your bog project, it included so much life and was very much life like, in the sense that it captured raw life. It wasn't limited to just fish or inverts. Anyway, speaking of Copepods, I found a pregnant one in my pico tank last night, super exciting!

BTW - here is a great website I found a while back: Live insect tarantula spider centipede millipede pet for sale. This guy sells all kinds of land and aquatic insects, from isopods to scorpions. Maybe he sells Limpets too. Might be worth a shot :)

Sounds great! That's what I liked most about your bog project, it included so much life and was very much life like, in the sense that it captured raw life. It wasn't limited to just fish or inverts. Anyway, speaking of Copepods, I found a pregnant one in my pico tank last night, super exciting!

BTW - here is a great website I found a while back: Live insect tarantula spider centipede millipede pet for sale. This guy sells all kinds of land and aquatic insects, from isopods to scorpions. Maybe he sells Limpets too. Might be worth a shot :)

Well thanks, more people must have followed that thread on The Bog than I thought. I'll have to revive it here soon - it is still percolating along. Right now there are a few stonefly nymphs in there along with a new type of fish that seems to be the perfect fit; the White Cheek goby (Rhinogobius duospilus). I'll have to check your thread and that website out. Thanks

Last edited:
Used the excess Java moss from the shrimp tank today to cover some charcoal caves that I added to the tank for both the shrimp and the Peacock gudgeons to use for spawning.

I placed them under the roots of my driftwood and then placed an undecorated on under one of the rocks. Tried to face them all so we could see in them when looking in the tank.

We will see how the moss does.

Where did you get your caves? Everything I'm finding online is larger, like pleco size.

As far as the background I tend to prefer black but the blue looks very nice with your tank, kind of gives it an open feeling.

All is fair in love and war...and aquascapeing ;)

So True :angel:

Where did you get your caves? Everything I'm finding online is larger, like pleco size.

As far as the background I tend to prefer black but the blue looks very nice with your tank, kind of gives it an open feeling.

To be honest, I got them from someone over on The Planted Tank who was shutting down their system, but I think these are similar; Shrimp house from bamboo charcoal @ Shrimp Tank

This site appears to have them as well; http://aquakitz.com/shrimp/shrimp-shelter/

I thought the same about the background as well. I like the blue on this one right now, but as the plants grow in the black might look better. Or maybe I'll just change them up every week LOL.

Last edited:
Late to the thread, but I have a couple of thoughts.

Regarding that space in the back. I'm thinking something with some puff, but squat enough that it won't get too tall and distract from the hardscape. My first thought was blyxa and let it get a little beligerant, like it does in this tank.

With the biodiversity.... It don't see it happening on a really appreciable scale, unfortunately. Your tank is stocked with mostly predators, who will be pretty ruthless on your copepods and various invertebrates. A tank that size would need dramatically less fish or much more space to cultivate enough invertebrates to be meaningful.

Also, black vs blue: Black by a mile.

Late to the thread, but I have a couple of thoughts.

Regarding that space in the back. I'm thinking something with some puff, but squat enough that it won't get too tall and distract from the hardscape. My first thought was blyxa and let it get a little beligerant, like it does in this tank.

With the biodiversity.... It don't see it happening on a really appreciable scale, unfortunately. Your tank is stocked with mostly predators, who will be pretty ruthless on your copepods and various invertebrates. A tank that size would need dramatically less fish or much more space to cultivate enough invertebrates to be meaningful.

Also, black vs blue: Black by a mile.

Hey AC welcome aboard! Great to have you along for the ride. I like that blyxa . . . and the look of it in that tank. Maybe that combined with the Dwarf Sag in the right places? You of course are absolutely right on the biodiversity, fortunately I have a amphipod tank, so I should be able to drop a some in here and there. My copepod colony exploded and then went south just as fast :(, so I'll have to restructure that one. It is kind of fun to watch them hunt though. The Super Tigers are large enough that that predators leave them alone, so a population of adults is still a possibility, although the juveniles will most likely be picked off. However, if I maintain a population in another tank, I can also add adults on occasion to keep the population up.

I'm not a huge fan of dwarf sag. It's an unruly plant that unfortunately many people underestimate. It sends runners everywhere, will grow 3+ feet in height under certain circumstances, and just generally misbehaves.... BUT, that might be what you're looking for in a tank like this. I would actually recommend going with is Helanthium tenellum, another US native plant that stays a little more squat. Alternatively, you could try sagittaria platyphyla if you can find it, but I've only ever seen it once, and that was when a disreputable vender sent it to me instead of subulata.

Regarding copepods, I had a raging population in this bowl. I supplemented the food chain bottom-up with baker's yeast a few times a week to add to the bottom of the food pyramid to support that biodiversity, since I didn't have the volume to grow what the midlevel consumers would need.

Regarding copepods, I had a raging population in this bowl. I supplemented the food chain bottom-up with baker's yeast a few times a week to add to the bottom of the food pyramid to support that biodiversity, since I didn't have the volume to grow what the midlevel consumers would need.

Oh that bowl again, love it!

What plants and substrate are in there, and how often do you do maintenance?

I loved that bowl so much. It was my try at the 'natrual tank' idea. It was just a $10 bowl from a craft store, a few cups of unshifted potting soil, and a few cup of ecocomplete (what I happened to have around) to keep the soil down. It started out like this. There were crypts and dwarf sag in there, no fish, shrimp, heater, filter, etc. I it was set up for maybe six months, and I basically only did one or two water changes, but kept it topped off. The only other maintenance I did was Excel a few times a week, arbitrarily fertilized it, scooped duckweed off of it regularly, and added baking yeast 2-3 a week. The only lighting was a 10w CFL in a brooder lamp ~2" from the top, which is an insane amount of light considering the setup. There ended up being all manner of daphnia, detritivores, and other little things in it. I swished a net at a local creek (some random creek running through Denver, not exactly the most glorified thing) and dumped the crud I got into it, and then copepods began to show up. It was glorious.

It's unfortunately not set up anymore. School got crazy with rotations, and I was out of town and/or working 80 hour weeks and unable to keep up tanks. I'm only just starting to get setup again. I'm actually going to mess around with HC in a tank like that to see where it goes. It's probably going to crump on me, but that's what experiments are for, right?

My other thought on the tank at hand is the reverse UGF. A lot of your biodiversity comes from things living in your substrate. I would worry that the constant ventilation might hurt them rather than help, but I'm not really going on anything with that line of reasoning.

Back
Top Bottom