Replacing a filter in a cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leighgonch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all

I am new to keeping fish and I've had a freshwater tropical tank for over 7 weeks now which i have cycled and added some fish

The problem is that due to my inexperience I originally calculated my tank size wrong and I feel the filter I am using is to small for my tank. could anyone advise me on the best way to change to a larger filter whilst keeping my fish happy as I'm worried about the new filter needing time to mature...

Regards
Leigh

What is your tank size and what filter are you using? General rule of thumb is that you want between 5 and 10 times turnover. Therefore if you have a 10 gallon tank you want a filter that will filter between 50 and 100 gallons per hour. There are exceptions to this rule. You can also go over the turnover rate if your fish can handle it. My 10 gallon has a Penguin 150 BIO-Wheel on one side, a Millennium 1000 on the other side, and I also use an under gravel filter powered by an air pump that can handle a 60 gallon tank. Total from just the Penguin and the Millennium I have a turnover of around 240 gallons per hour.

The best way to mature a new filter is to run both of them on the tank for a couple of weeks. If you can, just leave the old filter on there and add the new filter. Use them together and you can alternate media changes by changing one cartridge one week and the other one the next week to prevent a mini cycle. You will also have a seeded filter in case one fails you won't have to run out and buy a new filter immediately and you won't have to cycle the new filter.

Changing Filter During Cycling

Hello all

I am new to keeping fish and I've had a freshwater tropical tank for over 7 weeks now which i have cycled and added some fish

The problem is that due to my inexperience I originally calculated my tank size wrong and I feel the filter I am using is to small for my tank. could anyone advise me on the best way to change to a larger filter whilst keeping my fish happy as I'm worried about the new filter needing time to mature...

Regards
Leigh

Hello Leigh...

The proper filter should have a gph (gallon per hour) rating 6 times the volume of your tank in gallons. So, if you have a 30 gallon tank, you need a filter with a gph of 180. If your current filter is less than 180, then you'll need a larger filter. But, that's not a problem. Set up the larger filter, the same brand, and simply transfer the media.

B

Back
Top Bottom