Reptile lighting fixture for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puckhog429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So as some of you may have seen before I am starting a fishroom. I hope to breed some fish and grow plants to sell. I am on a budget and trying to save money where I can. So I have a 20 gal. long setup and dirted with a few plants in it from my tanks. Im gonna be getting a shipment of plants from aquabid in next week. right now id consider the lighting that I have right now subpar to what id like to have. So i thought I could use some of these fixtures that I have sitting around. They both have a 150watt max on them. I threw in a couple plain 23watt cfl that my parents had in the closet but I feel that i could do a lot better. What are some higher wattage bulbs that would produce more light that i can use in these?
Thanks
Paul
:fish2:

Those are basically expensive work lamps from home depot.. if you need a lot of light for little money than go to home depot and get the domes and Walmart has 4 packs of 6500k cfls for cheap, you want the k rating between 5000-7000 in order to benefit plant growth...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I had bought these from lowes but they just werent enough light. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404389069.671779.jpgI saw someone on youtube that was running bulbs that were more like the recessed lighting in my house.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404389115.687000.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I guess i can just go to home depot and find a bulb like this as long as its within the max wattage listed on the dome right?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

for med light use 23 watt, for low light use 13 watt. The k ratings is related to the color temp rather than the wattage. I don't know about the flood lights, i can however attest to the productivity of cfl's. They kick but on my tanks..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom