repurposing my 2.5g for shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I seem to be having a shrimp problem in both of my tanks.

My ghost shrimp have been hunted down to the last couple in my 20g tank. The most likely culprits are my female bettas, but my five banded barbs could also be responsible.

Unfortunately, my RCS may have been hunted to extinction in my 10g tank by my pygmy gouramis. Granted, they could be hiding in my java moss, but I've only seen one in the last week when I've seen many more than that before.

I've had a 2.5g tank that I was using as a just-in-case hospital tank. However, since it can't be an effective QT, I'm now thinking about using it as a shrimp-only tank and moving what's left of my shrimp population into it.

Amazon.com: PETCO 2.5 Gallon Desktop Aquarium: Kitchen & Dining

I never used, nor do I intend to use, the questionable looking filter that came with it. I instead bought another Tom's Aquarium mini filter to use, the same as my backup filter in my 10g tank.

Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Home & Garden

The tank is acrylic, so I can't put aquarium gravel in it. I'm looking to use Fluval Stratum since it's a softer substrate. Is there a better substrate to use for acrylic tanks?

The only big concern I have is lighting. I do intend to move most, if not all, of my java moss into this tank for the shrimp to live in. The light consists of 21 white and 3 blue LEDs, but it doesn't give any idea of how many lumen or watts the lamp has. You can see from the picture how big it is overall, and even though it has 21 white LEDs, they aren't that big of a bulb. Would they be effective for low light plants?

IMO they would be, because even if they're a half watt each that's still gives you over 10 watts for a 2.5 gallon tank. Which is more than enough to grow low light plants

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom