Resealing a leaky hex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattycakesclark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got this cheap at a garage sale, 10$. For that price, I was not going to be surprised if it leaked.
Here are some pictures of the tank and leaks. The tank is 24" tall, and 18" wide.
Do I have to remove the panes and reseal the primary seals, or would scraping, cleaning and resealing the inner secondary seal work?

Advice would be awesome
4803648650_533b65f2df.jpg

4803018705_d8544747a4.jpg

4803648794_0e5fd1b344.jpg

As long as the tank is structurally intact (ie none of the panes are loose), I would think you should be OK just redoing the inner seams.

+1 for jsoong. Scrape the old silicone away with a razor blade. New silicone doesn't stick to old silicone at all. The worst that'll happen is the tank will still leak and you'll be out a couple of bucks for a tube of silicone.

remember to use the right silicone. you want pure 100% silicone like GE1. no additives for mold.

Acetone (nail polish remover) or isopropyl alcohol will help remove the old silicone. Razor blades and a lot of elbow grease will get the majority of it off. Masking tape/painter's tape will help create a border to the silicone. Of course, you want to remove before the silicone starts to harden.

Give it a few days to cure before leak testing again.

Back
Top Bottom