Resealing fish tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my mom just gifted me my dad's old fish tanks. They haven't had water in them for 20 years and haven't been submitted to the best conditions.

What do I need to know about Resealing them so they are fish ready?

They sell fish aquarium sealant, my Pet Supermarket, Petsmart, and sometimes petco have it. I suggest a good solid wash before anything. Have you tested the tanks? The brand i've seen pop up is Marineland, but I am sure there are others. Some say you can use SOME types of regular sealant, but I always go the safe route and use aquarium. Perhaps a more experienced Aquarist will be on?

I don't remember the name of it but, I bought some silicon sealant at Lowes (or was it Home Depot?) for about five bucks. It will say "aquarium safe" on it. My point... Get it from your hardware store as buying it from a pet shop will likely cost you twice as much for the exact same thing.

Goggle or search YouTube. There are many instructionals floating around the net.

This tank is going to be more work than originally planned. 2 of the glass panels are broken so I need to find a shop that will be able to cut the glass to custom sizing for me. The tank was custom built for my dad way back when. He passed away about 5 years ago so I don't want to just ditch the tank. It would mean a lot to me to have it redone and have my dads old tank. Plus I really like the way it looks :)

I even have all of my dads old plants with the lead weights (that I won't be using). The plants are going to get reworked to remove the metal from them too. I found an awesome tutorial on how to make craft store plants aquarium safe somewhere on this forum. Than to finish it off being a tribute tank, I want to stock it similarly to what my dad used to keep in it. That will be questions for my mom though, it hasn't been running for 25 years and I was a baby when it was.

Attachments

• image-2098378619.jpg
    image-2098378619.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom