Restart on 20L Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Water Parameters

Aquarium 20L parameters are:

Temperature: 76
Ammonia, NH4: 0
Nitrate, NO3: 10
Nitrite, NO2: 0
pH: 7.6
Alkalinity, KH: 6
Phosphate, PO4: 0
General Hardness, GH: 7

for date: March 18, 2013

This is the first time I used a phosphate and GH/KH test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talking to myself…

The tank turned out wonderfully…

image-3500663671.jpg

And then…a bad sound…

image-1823594175.jpg

Oh no…

image-607727757.jpg

Another restart…

Poo.

Water Parameters

I'm hoping someone can explain what the Phosphate and GH/KH readings mean.

Complete restart

Back to an empty tank.

image-798361927.jpg

I am hoping I can recreate this--or better.

Suggestions are welcome.

Note: Lighting is currently from the Aqueon 36 Bowfront kit, which now has a Fugeray. I plan to upgrade that to a Ray2 and move the FugeRay to this tank

Any thoughts, suggestions?

The 20 now sits empty on the floor while I re-think floor plans and stands. I am thinking of this:

http://virtuallyamy.wordpress.com/2008/08/13/build-a-strong-inexpensive-aquarium-stand/

All of my Cories have been re-homed and the elderly, (5+ years old), rasboras have gone back to the 36.

36 Aqueon Bowfront
Fugeray
Planted
2 BNP
7 Rasboras
a few ghost shrimp and assassin snails
To come this week from Aquabid, 10 pygmy cory, who were supposed to go in the 20.

image-470915402.jpg

Marineland Eclipse 12
Male Betta
3-5 Oto's
Some RCS

image-3504435405.jpg

Evolve 4
Young male Betta

Attachments

• image-1362417306.jpg
    image-1362417306.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 62
Water Parameters

Phosphate is just the measure of phosphates in the water. It should be pretty low for a new tank without much stock.

KH is "Carbonate Hardness", which is basically the concentration of carbonates in your water. It also determines your water's buffering capacity (ability to resist pH changes) and to some extent raises your pH. It is one of the components of 'water hardness'

GH is "General Hardness", or the mineral content of you water. This is composed of calcium and magnesium in your water, although the vast majority is usually calcium. This is the other component of 'hard water'.

Phosphate is just the measure of phosphates in the water. It should be pretty low for a new tank without much stock.

KH is "Carbonate Hardness", which is basically the concentration of carbonates in your water. It also determines your water's buffering capacity (ability to resist pH changes) and to some extent raises your pH. It is one of the components of 'water hardness'

GH is "General Hardness", or the mineral content of you water. This is composed of calcium and magnesium in your water, although the vast majority is usually calcium. This is the other component of 'hard water'.

Um, so my readings are ok?

Can this BB be saved?

This tank was started March 5th and had to be taken down on the 18th. The 3 Aquaclear 30 filters were seeded with media from my older tanks. The water was testing ok. Right now the contents of the filters are in a bucket of tank water. It will be at least two weeks before I can set this tank up again.

Do you think I can save the media by adding a sponge filter to the bucket, or do you have any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom