Restarting after ICH loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Remington

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all
I recently had a severe outbreak of ICH in my 55G .I tried to medicate ASAP but lost all fish[emoji17]. None the less time marches on. I did a 75% water change and I am currently keeping water above 85 degrees Fahrenheit to kill any remaining ICH in the gravel. I know it is always present but I feel it would be super high after such a massacre. Anyway, I am monitoring my water and my ph keeps testing at a 8.2[emoji17]. Is this because of high temp? My water source is testing at a 7.4. I have creek rock and a small planted piece of driftwood in the tank. I have a list of fish I wish to put in the tank when it is ready and ideally they like a PH range of 6.7-7.5. So main question is. Is high temp why my pH is high? Also do you have any recommendations as to how to lower pH.
Thank you all in advance.

Hello Rem...

Heat isn't the best means of dealing with the Ich parasite. Yes, it increases the parasite metabolism and shortens its life. But, it does the same to your fish and this makes them poop more and dissolved fish waste is nitrogen, which removes oxygen and further fouls up the tank water. High heat is bad for aquatic plants. Don't mess with the heat. Just clean up the water with large, frequent water changes and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. Pathogens and parasites won't tolerate pure water conditions. Start dosing a bit of standard aquarium salt. A teaspoon or a bit more in every five gallons of treated replacement water will retard the growth of the Ich parasite. Once the water in the tank is cleaned up, change half the water weekly and continue the salt dose for as long as you keep it.

B

Hello Rem...

Heat isn't the best means of dealing with the Ich parasite. Yes, it increases the parasite metabolism and shortens its life. But, it does the same to your fish and this makes them poop more and dissolved fish waste is nitrogen, which removes oxygen and further fouls up the tank water. High heat is bad for aquatic plants. Don't mess with the heat. Just clean up the water with large, frequent water changes and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material. Pathogens and parasites won't tolerate pure water conditions. Start dosing a bit of standard aquarium salt. A teaspoon or a bit more in every five gallons of treated replacement water will retard the growth of the Ich parasite. Once the water in the tank is cleaned up, change half the water weekly and continue the salt dose for as long as you keep it.

B

Thank you for the advice. I will turn heat down. I found a local “pet store” that has Indian Almond leaves and plan to use them to help with pH situation. I might use my Hang on back filter with some carbon for a few hours to remove any trace amounts of left over medication before I put them in.

Back
Top Bottom