Restarting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody83

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well it's been over a year since a move forced me to tear down and store my 30 gal first attempt. Found my way back to this forum and caught the bug again. So the 30 gal is getting set up and fish less cycled.

It'll be planted again (eventually) and decor will be much different, but what I'm here for is your suggestion for FISH. The first time I had Ottos, Corys, cherry barbs and an odessa barb.

I liked the Otto & Corys, so I'll at least have those. But no barbs this time. I think they stressed the others too much. So, what kind and how many?

PS - If anyone is in the Maryland area and would spare some seeded media to jump start my cycle I'd appreciate it.

Well I gave this list to another person on here, so tell me what you think of it.

-Large school of some type of small tetras. (Your choice, around 10-12 in the school.)
-Small school of hatches. (Marble or silver, your choice again, around 5 in the school.)
-2 BN Plecos (but if your going with live plants stick with like 4-5 ottos.)
-Small school of cories. (Your choice on type, around 5 in that group.)
-A pair of GBRs
-Trio of a type of dwarf cichlid

In a 30, I wonder what it would look like to have your ottos (3) and cories (6) and a huge school of your favourite small tetra? You might be able to 15 neons with these numbers.

I say that since the 2 kinds of fish you are going to get for sure are both schooling fish then what the heck why dont you keep the schools coming with 2 other types of schooling fish or even something like what Johnny Tuttle was saying about a big scool of fish. Or if you want to breed fish then get some livebearers like mollies, swordtails, platy, and guppies. And if you want some type of chichlid i would say get some GBRs they are very nice community fish. and maybe a single BN pleco to help you out in cleaning the tank and keeping it clean. sorry i dont live near maryland so i cant help you get a jump start. sorry.

In a 30, I wonder what it would look like to have your ottos (3) and cories (6) and a huge school of your favourite small tetra? You might be able to 15 neons with these numbers.

I normally don't count cories and ottos and plecos (unless they are the huge ones.) In the inch per gallon rule since cories only are on bottom and ottos are only on walls, they normally don't take up swimming space, you might want to count them but not a lot, like say you have 6 inch of cories I would count that as only a couple inches since they don't really swim were the fish do, middle and top.

No breeding, no chichlids & I think a pleco would get too big. So thinking 4-6 Ottos, 4-5 corys, big school of something, smaller school of something else.

Thanks for the ideas.

Pretty plain jane tank atm as I cycle. Order of Eco Complete, driftwood, bubble wand & ceramic media on the way. I'll grab a nice rock or two from outside. Once nitrites peak I'll be looking to buy plants.

my.php

BN plecos only get to about 4". IMO you should get more even of schools. but danios and tetras are both nice choices. but if you really want to get unevenly numbered fish in each school then i would get a small school of rasboras and a larger school of some type of tetra.

Welcome back! If you want to add the plants they can help speed up the cycle. For a school of fish perhaps lemon tetras. The rest of the stocking looks good to me. The otos will do a fine job of keeping the tank clean.

Welcome back! If you want to add the plants they can help speed up the cycle. For a school of fish perhaps lemon tetras. The rest of the stocking looks good to me. The otos will do a fine job of keeping the tank clean.

Thanks! This time around should be much better since the tank will be in MY house and cared for daily. Wouldn't be suprised if CO2 enters the picture quickly.

Still figuring where the plants will come from. Had good and bad experiences last time buying/shipping, still figuring where they'll come from this time. Recommendations welcome and I'll always pay AA people for their clippings.

Post in the barter trade or classified forums. With online shipping depending on where you live, weather and temp must be taken into consideration.

I also recommend Lowcoaster from Aquabid...quality plants and reliable transactions. Get on his email list!

Woo-hoo, looks like I'm on the way. Figured it would take longer. Started by dosing amonia on 11/30, probably dosed too much as it stayed in the 8+ range. Today, 12/9, Ammonia still high, but nitrites have showed up in the 2-5 range and nitrates are showing around 10.

Some plants will arrive in the next day or so courtesy of jrp1588.

Pic of new DW soaking in a 5 gal.

Still debating fish.

Nitrites are high (5+), Ammonia is now gone, Nitrates around 10. I have a couple plants in. Should I dose ammonia?

Cherry Barbs are cool, had them originally if you had followed the link. Thanks for the recommendation.

But immediately I'm concerned with getting cycled. Obviously I'm in the middle of it. To finish, do I dose ammonia and risk algae outbreak to keep the nitrites alive. Or let it go and risk eventually having another cycle.

Dose about half of the ammonia you were dosing to previously (so if you were dosing to 5ppm, dose to 2-3ppm).

You'll probably need to dose daily if the cycle is working correctly.

Think I made it. Ammonia is being turned over in 24 hours. Nitrites 0 and Nitrates around 40. Another test tonight will confirm hopefully. Probably a PWC tomorrow to get the Nitrates down slightly and help alleviate the water tint since I apparently didn't soak the DW enough. Then maybe I'll go get the clean up crew, thinking 4 Cory's & 6 ottos.

Back
Top Bottom