'Resting' fantails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish1102

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put four fantails into my new pond today. I introduced them gradually, letting water temperature in the bag equalise before releasing them. They swam around fine for a while, took some food, nibbled the plants, all seemed ok. But as the evening has gone on they got quieter and stiller, and all four are now 'resting' on the gravel at the bottom. They are all up the right way, not on their sides or upside down. (Have just looked again and they have changed position slightly, but they are very still.

Is this normal behaviour or a bad sign? I'm worried. :(

I've had a tropical tank for a while and I remember being worried for no reason when I first put catfish in, because they will sit at the bottom for ages not doing anything.

But as the evening has gone on they got quieter and stiller, and all four are now 'resting' on the gravel at the bottom. They are all up the right way, not on their sides or upside down. (Have just looked again and they have changed position slightly, but they are very still.

Totally normal, just bedding down for the night! I find my pond fish to be most active in early morning and early evening. In the heat of the day they find shady spots to hang out in, and don't do much at all. Their patterns of activity/rest vary with the seasons, at least in my pond.

I agree. My fish do the same thing, especially the cats. They are almost never out during the day, but if I throw some food in there just after dark they go nuts.

I agree. My fish do the same thing, especially the cats. They are almost never out during the day, but if I throw some food in there just after dark they go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom