restocking 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish71

Great white snark
So now that everyone is out of the 55 and into the 120, I have a fully cycled (set up over a year) planted and DW decorated tank. You can see pics in my profile. Anyways, new stocking ideas are as follows. Any ideas/suggestions? We want this to be mainly a neon tetra tank with a few other colorful fish. Some of them we already have in our 29 and will be moving them, then adding more after a stint in QT

a herd of neon tetras
a few black "neon" tetras
a few glowlight tetras
a few harlequin rasboras
a few sparkling gouramis
herd of red cherry shrimp
herd of corys
herd of otos
maybe some glass cats

What I have running on the tank now are two Aqua-Techs rated for 30-60g, and undergravel filter with two powerheads. Eventually I will go with a fluval 405 but clean water and handling the bio-load isn't a problem. This same set up homed 2 JDs, 2 firemouths, 2 pictus cats, 1 featherfin cat, 1 jewel and 12 giant danios until it was time to give them a bigger home. All the fish/inverts I'm thinking about have small bioloads.

Just a suggestion, rummynose tetras are really cool (I haven't kept them before though), along with all the others you picked. I love my glowlights, they have so much personality. I cut up an earthworm the other day and one of the fish had a piece in her mouth and another fish came up from behind and ripped the piece in half, reminded me of Deep Blue Sea lol. I haven't kept any of the other fish/inverts in your list though, but it seems like a nice list.

Ya know. I was looking at rummies the other day and put them in my mental "maybe" list. Hmm a group of 6 would add something to the tank I think.

Great suggestion.

Yeah our glows are vicious little feeders. They battle the ghost shrimp for food, and usually win. Which is rare, ghost shrimp don't usually give in. *lol*

I had wanted to put ghost shrimp in my 10 but my lfs hardly sells any (at least the last I checked, but I haven't been there since last...uhh... September lol.

If I could get ours to breed as easily as our RCS do I'd send you some. I have all kinds of berried (egg laden) females but we never see any little shrimps. You would think a few from each would survive in the plants but nope, none.

Sounds good to me!! ive got a few of those fish and they are all awesome. I know you said mainly tetras but cherry and gold barbs really are awesome!!

I like barbs, but I also know sometimes they can get nippy. The idea for this tank came when we were at one of our LFS. They have a 125g display only tank of cardinal tetras. I think the owner said there's 2000 give or take. The way they all moved together in a school was beautiful so we decided to do it on a smaller scale. The neons will be the main fish with smaller groupings of other schoolers.

Back
Top Bottom