retrofit metal halides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems like a lot of work personally for not much savings. I like Coralife, but unless you're really crafty and have some metal bending tools, you never know how's it going to come out. If you look around you can get complete hoods with bulbs for $330ish, like Hamilton kits.

If you want to save money and go retro then Hello lights gives you the best bang for the buck!

Here is a link to the 175w kits for $119. These are plug and play after you add the bulb.
http://hellolights.com/arocu17rekit.html

If you buy one of these kits you can get any XM bulb for just $20.

I bought the same setup except I bought the 250w. Three of them. It is th same type of ballast as well. I have to tell you that I am VERY please with mine. Connect 2 wires and your ready to go. The ballast is magnetic, but there is NO humming and NO heat issues like I was led to believe by others. Maybe these are just good ballast. :)

That was the first place I checked too :) I bought some replacement bulbs from them and have been very pleased. I am running a Coralvue retrofit kit on my 75.

Depending on what you want to keep, 250 watt MH might be better suited for a 180 gal.

I love my setup from cooltouchlighting.com. Bought mine from their ebay add but you can just as well from the website. Top quality and far cheaper than that gizmo from your link.

I can get you 2- 250 watt CoralVue MH retro kits with electronic ballast, reflector, bulb and shipping for $340 It is where I got mine. :wink:

This is a little off topic of retro fit kits. But I have a MH sys that is a total of 542w. The halide bulbs are 175w each. Is it possible to use 150w bulbs in this sys? I do not want to ruin my ballast.

lol where did you get that from brenden thats a great deal?

Back
Top Bottom